Sign in with
Your question

[Gigabyte] MA78GM -US2H after bios upgrade pc actin very strange

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 6, 2010 4:21:17 AM

Hi guys for some reason after i upgraded the bios too the very newest version my computers been acting very strange.. At times it will say Disk error, at times after post my screen will go blank and hang their and at times at post screen the text will scroll up and just hang... And at times my pc will just start up.. I have no idea how to fix this.. Im not too tech savy

Btw i tried removing the cmos battery it still stays the same bios version i upgraded it too.. I dont have the jumpers no idea why.
April 6, 2010 6:35:01 AM

Bios updates are only recommended if you are either having problems with the current one or intending to use new hardware that's only supported with the new update... Stability of your old setup has been reduced by the update... Removing the battery isn't gonna change it... You need to use the cmos to clear bios and set it up from scratch at default...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 6, 2010 2:38:53 PM

Unless you have a problem or issue, and the new version has a specific fix for your problem, updating your BIOS is useless, and yes many times it will cause more problems than it will fix. Try flashing back to the old version.

I have no idea why there are so many people out there who think just because there is a new version, you need to go get it. Even your board makers site has warnings all over the page. But everyone wants to have that latest BIOS version, as if your BIOS is some kind of driver set or something, it is not. The only change might be they added a new processor to the list of possible processors the board can support, so the board can recognize and "knows" the default auto configuration for a newly released processor, or memory stick. Nothing is changed most usually that affects how your PC works. And when a change is made that does have an effect, it could be a change made to work with a later revision of your board, and can cause more problems than it will solve on previous board revisions.
If you did the update because you had to, pay no attention to my ranting, but there are too many people out there who think the first thing you need to do when you have a problem is "update your BIOS!" This is not, many times, the best advice.
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 5, 2010 12:37:02 PM

Quote:
Hi guys for some reason after i upgraded the bios too the very newest version my computers been acting very strange.. At times it will say Disk error, at times after post my screen will go blank and hang their and at times at post screen the text will scroll up and just hang... And at times my pc will just start up.. I have no idea how to fix this.. Im not too tech savy

Btw i tried removing the cmos battery it still stays the same bios version i upgraded it too.. I dont have the jumpers no idea why.

I'm not sure if this is the issue, but often times when doing a bios update, the bios defaults to either AHCI or IDE mode for use with your hard drive controller. From what I understand, IDE mode usually works with any type of hard drive, where as AHCI mode is typically used for "hot swapping" and other power related features for drives capable. This makes a HUGE difference because what ever mode you had enabled in your bios when you installed your Windows XP/Vista/7 OS, that is what the boot sequence expects to see before you get your "Windows is Starting" screen.

There IS a way to change the type in your Device Manager To/From IDE/AHCI but you obviously need to be able to boot into Windows first! So the easiest way to check and see if this is your issue (and I have had similar issues before - with slightly different symptoms) is to go into the BIOS and try to use both settings until one works. I have found that for some reason sometimes it takes 2 tries to get a setting to "take" about 5% of the time I tweak my BIOS, so try it twice if you need to. ALSO, be sure to use the "fail safe settings" FIRST, before you try to tweak it! You may have played around in there and caused other issues that are only compounding your problem.

Good luck! Maybe I will write a tut on my blog about this issue... ( http://blog.justinmerrill.info ) its fairly common.
m
l
!