Help me spend my money

bbritts

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
I'm buying parts for a new build to replace my computer that's nearly 5 years old.

So far:
ASUS P7P55D EVO
i7 860
Corsair HX750 W
Corsair DOMINATOR 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Omega Claro Plus (I'm so tired of SB)

I still need a DVD/CD recorder and WD 1TB HDDs, but I'm looking to this board to help me come up with a video card. I am not a gamer, although if a game was on my machine, I'd probably play it! I'm old-school--I like Tetris and solitaire. I use MS Word, Photoshop, Illustrator. etc. And my eyesight isn't what it used to be (reading glasses). My current video card is a PNY, and it has worked flawlessly for about 5 years now.

My current monitor is a ViewSonic VP191b, and I have not yet chosen a replacement. But I do see my getting a widescreen HD something.

I don't really need to spend more than $170 on a video card, and maybe with the above info, some of you may think I don't need to spend that much, but I'd really like your serious suggestions.

Thanks,
Barb

Flying Sq

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
Probably get a 7600GT if you can, or if you want something a little newer, get a GTS 250. This might be an Nvidia board, but the right card would probably be a 4870, great performance, 20 bucks shy of your limit. Get the xfx one for a double lifetime warranty to help keep some resale value. You can probably go older in models, but make sure you get at least a 512MB but don't go over a 1GB model, it should help with PS and other photo editing software.

arges86

Distinguished
i'd stick with something thats HDCP compatible, so you can watch Blu-Rays if you want... or other HD content.
Even if you don't think you'll want to now, you never know what you'll need to use your PC for in the future,
so don't cripple it w/ a old GPU like the 7000 series.
get @ least a 8000 series, or the GT 250 is a good buy

bbritts

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
Thanks for the replies. Over the last three days I've been bouncing back and forth between ATI and GeForce. If I continue to ponder this stuff I may change my mind again, but to date, I'm planning to order the XFX GeForce GTX 260. Hopefully that card will allow me wiggle-room for future use. Blu-rays are probably in my future.

Also, I'll take the advice and start with 4GB.

Thanks again
Barb

bbritts

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009

Wow...when I did a search on NEgg, they already had that Core 216 card of XFX's deactivated. Looks like I need to get one from PNY or EVGA.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Considering the lifespan of your previous card (5years) you may want to consider a DX11 card. If you plan on keeping the new one anywhere near as long as the old one, then having DX11 will be a big plus. An ATI 5750 falls within your budget, will use less power, produce less heat, and make less noise than a 260. All pretty important differences in the long term, IMO.

bbritts

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
Thanks guys, I can wait a month or so. I'll hold out for the DX11. My current computer works just fine, and I was just thinking about waiting a bit. I've got my case, power supply, and a CPU for this new build. I'm not in any hurry--I just retired 2 months ago.

I like the idea of waiting for a newer video card. Again, thanks.

brockh

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

I hate to break the news to you, but those cards won't be coming out a month from now. It'll probably be three or four or more months before we even see a paper release.

bbritts

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009

Ouch! I don't think I can wait that long...I've been bit by the bug!

bbritts

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009

I can wait a month. Heck, I know all about self-inflected pain/torture...I taught junior high science for 35 years!

azconnie

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Just chiming in. The most reputable rumors I have heard on Fermi (GT300) Is black Friday. Not to incur the wrath of mouse monkey, but I feel confident enough to tell you to wait till then. If there not out by that time, then I can vouch for the GTX260, and highly reccomend EVGA. Oh, and good move with the ASUS board. Good luck on the build.

:lol: Now why would I vent my spleen at you?, you stated that you are quoting rumours not some 'facts' pulled out of your butt so I don't have a problem with that, it's the totally unsupported factual release dates and performance levels that get my back up.
redcard.gif

Best card for under $170 is probably the ATI 5770. The GTX 260 and 4870 can certainly be argued to perform better at current. However, with driver optimizations, and future DX11 games/software, the ATI 5770 is an option to consider. It really all depends on what you want.

Ultimately though, if you don't foresee yourself playing modern gaming titles, you really don't need any of these video cards.

bbritts

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009

Everyone reading this thread will cringe when I say that the last computer game(s) I really got into was Leisure Suit Larry, and that was in the mid to late 80s!

But I'd still like to be able to load and play a game if the urge strikes.