April 2, 2012 7:51:29 AM

I am trying to format a flashdrive from Fat32 to NTFS
m
l
Related resources
April 2, 2012 7:20:42 PM

1. Open the command line
2. FORMAT E: /FS:NTFS /V:MyUSB /X
"E:" = will be the letter of your usb drive so make sure you get that right the 1st time
You can also change "MyUSB" to what ever you want.

Make sure to remove all the content from the drive before typing the cmd
m
l
April 3, 2012 9:43:56 AM

Mu33rto said:
1. Open the command line
2. FORMAT E: /FS:NTFS /V:MyUSB /X
"E:" = will be the letter of your usb drive so make sure you get that right the 1st time
You can also change "MyUSB" to what ever you want.

Make sure to remove all the content from the drive before typing the cmd

Thanks for info but we are at cross purposes here. My fault I probally haven't asked the right question. I know how to format drives and have attempted the format as you have indicated but the message comes up again and again that windows is unable to complete the format. What I want to know is WHY windows cannot complete the format?. There is no indication why>
m
l
April 3, 2012 6:31:24 PM

It could be that some system files are corrupted.. Try booting with an install cd and repair the system.
m
l
April 10, 2012 7:04:20 AM

Mu33rto said:
It could be that some system files are corrupted.. Try booting with an install cd and repair the system.

There should be no corruption as Windows 7 has only been installed four months and has only been used to edit my video productions. However I have learnt that some flash drives can not be formatted and are set at fat32. I have also made a discovery that when attempting to format this particular flashdrive I have an extra choice and that is XFAT32. I have chosen this and it works and it allows me to put an individual file up to 7.5 gb in size on to the drive instead of the 4gb size in fat32
m
l
!