Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Enough power?

Last response: in Components
January 1, 2010 4:57:41 PM

My rig is Phenom II x4 955 3.2Ghz, Asus M4A79XTD Evo, 4gb ddr3 ram, and a HD 5850. and i was wondering if the Antec Earthwatts EA650 650Ws( or the CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W?) is enough to power all this. Also will it be able to power 2 HD 5850s in the future? are there any other recommended psus? Thanks

More about : power

a c 243 ) Power supply
January 1, 2010 5:29:45 PM

azurite said:
i was wondering if the Antec Earthwatts EA650 650Ws( or the CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W?)

The Corsair is the better of the 2 unit's and can usually be found for only $5 or $10 more, and yes it's enough for crossfired 5850's
m
l
Related resources
January 1, 2010 7:15:51 PM

thanks alot, btw is there a significant difference between one rail and 3 rails?
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
January 1, 2010 7:23:32 PM

The Corsair TX650 is an excellent high quality power supply.

Most power supplies advertised as having mutiple rails typically have only one genuine rail. Think of them as having something like "virtual rails". It was an advertising gimmick. There was a big stink over it a few years ago.

There are some high end, high wattage power supplies that have true mutiple rails. For the typical user or typical gamer the number of rails doesn't make any difference.
m
l
January 1, 2010 7:37:46 PM

I also am a fan of that psu calculator - play with it carefully, it can be pretty subtle - you can tweak it to estimate many scenarios.

I am no psu expert but I have been led to believe that multi rails is better - damn marketing scams.

Also, generally again, your psu should exceed your requirements under load - the idea is to keep the psu in an efficient operating level, and not max it out = stability, and longevity to electrical components, mainly mobo. Underpower, is brownout, is excess heat, is death. And then there's brownout in house supply current - only cure for that is ups, and they get pricey at high watt levels.
m
l

Best solution

a c 137 ) Power supply
January 1, 2010 8:44:17 PM

Here's another version of the same PSU calculator

http://www.antec.outervision.com/

A 650 watter is plenty to power any single GPU card.

For two cards tho, I'd go with an 850 watter.

Of the two you mentioned:

The Antec earthwatts model gets a performance rating of 9.0 over at jonnyguru
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

The Corsair 650 wasn't reviewed but the 750TX gets a performance rating of 8.5 and the 850TX got a 9.5

Start here to get an idea of what quality tier a PSU sits in:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_PSUs

Read the reviews there and then head over to jonnyguru for a 2nd opinion.

The Antec SG-650 makes both SPC's Editor's Choice List and get a performance rating of 10 at jonnyguru. Of course you gonna pay more for that level of quality.

The Enermax Modu82+ 625W makes SPC's Editor's Choice List but wasn't reviewed at jonnyguru.

Any of the 4 will be more than adequate for most users. But if you going to do serious OC'ing I'd lean to the Antec SG or CP series or the Corsair HX series....650 watts for a single GP and 850 for two.
a b ) Power supply
January 1, 2010 8:52:28 PM

well a single 5850 draws 150 watts absolute maximum at stock clocks so 2x150=300 with leaves 350 watts for the rest your cpu draws 125 watts with leaves 225 watts say drives and fans draw 100 watts which should leave a 100watts free the 650watt should handle it
m
l
!