Sign in with
Your question

USB Mouse lags

Last response: in Components
January 1, 2010 6:52:16 PM

Hello,

Ive been getting a strange problem for sometime. My USB mouse seems to give me a little lag from time to time. It feels as if something is not making the mouse smooth, the lag is not too much, but it is there to be noticed, yet sometimes for a few seconds it improves. All my drivers on the computer are uptodate. Ive also changed the speed of the mouse and ive also tried 3 different mouses (they all work fine on my other computer), but that does not help. Ive even formatted the hard drive and installed the OS 2 times, but still same problem. I have no other problems on the computer, only this lag bothers me. Could a bad motherboard cause this?

Intel Core i7 920
OCZ Platinum 6GB Memory (1600)
ASrock X58 Extreme motherboard
OCZ 700W PSU
XFX ATI Radeon 4850
Creative X-fi extreme audio
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

More about : usb mouse lags

January 1, 2010 6:58:28 PM

Have you loaded the proper drivers for the mouse? What background apps or processes are running? - If your antivirus program is doing a scan, it could cause lag.
m
l
January 1, 2010 7:06:40 PM

Thanks for replying. I have very few processes running in the background and the antivirus software is not doing a scan right now. The drivers were installed automatically by windows. Its a standard USB mouse by HP. The lag happens when you move the mouse slowly to click something, like it would stutter a little.
m
l
Related resources
January 1, 2010 7:16:51 PM

Use a clean mouse pad; plug the mouse into another USB port. See if any of that helps.
m
l
January 1, 2010 7:17:35 PM

Possibly the surface that the mouse sits on - reflection? A less reflective surface might help - just my 2 cents.

Some background process perhaps - spyware, or an incompatible program causing some subtle conflict.

I recently had a clash issue with AVGantivirus versus "better file renamer vers.4" - that was not like what you describe - it was killing my right-click context menus, and causing hardlocks. I del'd bfr proggy = ok.
m
l
January 1, 2010 7:26:42 PM

my mouse pad is fine (ive used the same pad and mouse on my other system without any problems), ive also tried different USB ports and there is no spyware since its a fresh os install.
m
l
January 1, 2010 7:36:13 PM

someone on youtube had posted something similar to my problem, only his problem was much worse where his usb mouse was moving all over the place, it turned out there was a voltage problem on the USB bus of his motherboard. i hope i dont have the same problem.... although it also could be a driver conflict...
m
l
January 1, 2010 11:11:01 PM

Have you tried a PS2 mouse?
m
l
January 1, 2010 11:13:45 PM

i tried a ps2 connector on my usb mouse, but nothing worked....do you need drivers for it, or its supposed to work by itself?
m
l
January 2, 2010 2:41:46 AM

It should automatically install in Win7. Maybe you should RMA the Board, 'cause you've done all that can be done and still the mouse jitters.
m
l
January 2, 2010 9:22:06 PM

ok im trying a different usb port now (the front one at the case) and im noticing smoothness there, lets see if it stays and if it does stay, do you feel there might be a problem in the other usb ports?
m
l
January 3, 2010 1:32:44 AM

I would have thought it more likely the front panel USB ports would have been the problem because those jacks are wired through the case wiring, instead hard-wired through the board.

Try some other USB devices on all the ports and see how well they perform. If you have problems with the board's USB ports, RMA the board for a working replacement.
m
l
July 11, 2010 10:38:57 AM

I GOT SAME PROBLEM WITH MY MOUSE LAG..I JUST CLEAN MY VIDEO CARD TERMINAL AND NOW ITS OK.
m
l
July 11, 2010 2:55:16 PM

POMPEII1 said:
I GOT SAME PROBLEM WITH MY MOUSE LAG..I JUST CLEAN MY VIDEO CARD TERMINAL AND NOW ITS OK.

What videocard terminal did you clean?
m
l
Anonymous
October 7, 2010 2:30:14 AM

I also had this problem and it was driving me nuts for days. I think I have fixed it now. It seems when my wife cleaned the computer desk she inadvertently knocked the wireless receiver onto the computer case right on top of the power supply. This is only 6 inches away from where I normally keep it. It seems that some radiation from the switching power supply was interfering with the receiver. I have now moved it back and the mouse works smoothly again.

Worth moving your receiver if you have a wireless mouse to see if it helps.
m
l
!