Sign in with
Your question

No monitor signal gtx 260/275

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 27, 2009 1:52:08 AM

I just bought a new PSU today

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

so i could upgrade my graphics card. First i got the GTX 275 and connected everything but my monitor got no signal. i tried a new monitor and switched some cables and that wasn't it. i put in my old gt120 and it worked fine.

i cleared all drivers, nothing. i got on the phone with tech support who said my new PSU should run it fine, ran me through everything i already tried and actually recommended i get a new card.

i return it, and get the GTX 260 and have the exact same problem.

the computer boots fine, i can feel the air from the card's fan moving, but my monitors get no signal. i do not have an integrated display on my board to disable.

my computer is

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i have had no problems i couldn't fix myself up until now.

any help would be greatly appreciated
October 27, 2009 11:39:37 AM

have you tried your old video card to see if you get anything?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 27, 2009 2:56:31 PM

That PSU is a POS. It doesn't have active PFC, only has 70% efficiency, and doesn't have much power on the 12v rails. It's most likely that the PSU just can't produce enough clean power to run those graphics cards. I would return it for a quality unit from Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, or OCZ.

Here's a much better PSU that actually costs less.

OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail $64.99 - $25 MIR + an additional 10% off with promo code OZSAVEOCT.
m
l
Related resources
October 27, 2009 3:17:27 PM

ya i put in my old video card and it works fine.

i thought it might be the psu but the card turns on, i can feel the fan pumping. is it possible that there is enough power to start it up but not enough to send a signal to my monitor?

m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 27, 2009 3:33:39 PM

Powering the fan on the GPU hardly takes any power. Properly powering the GPU is another story. I would return that POS PSU whether it's actually the problem or not. Using a cheap PSU like that is just asking for problems down the road. A cheap PSU can cause all sorts of problems ranging from system instability to fried components.
m
l
October 27, 2009 4:12:53 PM

i'm going to return it today and get a corsair tx750w. a buddy of mine said its a solid psu.

i don't know if i should stick to the gtx 260 though. would it be worth it with my system to get an HD 5850?
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 28, 2009 1:54:59 AM

You are plugging in the auxiliary power connectors?
m
l
October 28, 2009 2:05:02 AM

yup, that was the first the tech support asked me too. i'm plugging the PCI-E cables directly from the psu to the card
m
l
!