Intel vs. AMD build - Need Some Decisive Help

d4saken1

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Friday of this week through the next two months. Cards will be purchased last.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Graphic Arts, General Media.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers, OS, Hard Drive, CD/DVD, Case.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com - COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel, Biostar, ATI.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe - CROSSFIRE: Yes

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I am leaning towards making a AMD build - At some point I might use all the slots available in the motherboard choice I picked for the AMD build so keep that in mind. If you are going to suggest parts please don't just redo the complete build keep in mind what I put together is close to what I am looking for.

My preferred site to buy from is Newegg since most all the things I wanted were there.

Unless I list x2 or whatnot will not be using over 1 item.

Case:

Armor Suit Case

Intel Build:

Mother Board:

Biostar Tpower i55

Power Supply:

Seventeam ST-750ZAF

Graphics Card:

Radeon HD 5850 (one at first 2nd one after initial build)

RAM:

G Skill - Ripjaw Series - 4GB - DDR3 1600 x2 (4 total)

CPU:

Intel Quad Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156

Heatsink:

Noctua NH-U12P

Total Approximate Cost: 1033 (with one card)

AMD Build:

Mother Board:

ASUS M4A79T Deluxe

Power Supply:

Enlight Sniper 5606832

Graphics Card:

Radeon HD 5850 (one at first 2nd one after initial build)

RAM:

G Skill - Ripjaw Series - 4GB - DDR3 1600 x2 (4 total)

CPU:
AMD Phenom II X4 955

Heatsink:

Noctua NH-U12P

Total Approximate Cost: 996 (with one card)

If I made some incompatible options or mistakes feel free to correct I may have misread or just went full retarded.

d4saken1

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
True the psu was a quick pick to be honest I plan to find a diffrent one.

Also I can go upto the 965 vs the 955 and still save money over Intel..

Since I picked an expensive power supply. (which I am changing and will drop price)

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
The Seventeam is a good PSU, not sure about enlighten.

I'd definately go with the i7 860 over any AMD quad because of the hyper threading. You'll notice that when doing production work.

For the cost, the biostar can be replaced with an Asus or gigabyte for better OC, but if its the free printer you're after, so be it.

The 965 is a waste of money since the 955 is a Black edition and has an unlocked multiplier. Just overclock the 955 if you go the AMD route. Intel is the better choice for this type of build, though. You don't need the i7 860. The i5 750 is considerably faster than the 955 and would bring the systems closer in price.

Biostar motherboards are only so-so. This combo uses a higher quality Gigabyte board and saves money.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.270434 (i5 750 + Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P combo) $354.98

The Noctua cooler is nice, but very overpriced. This cooler will work great with the LGA 1156 socket:

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-GP 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler - Retail $29.99

If you decide to go with the i7 860, here's a combo with the GA-P55-UD4P:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.270432

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
The PSU is often a brandquestion. You should spend that extra bucks in order to get a better brand. Things like blown systems due to crappy PSU has occured several times. If you just chose another PSU with higher Voltage but the same brand, I'd suggest you pick a trusted brand which also is certified by leading GPU and CPU manufactereers :)

fatkid35

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
you might want to think about the gigabyte 790x board for the amd build. i use one with my 955 be and the voltage stability is the best i've ever had in any board. zero vdrop! if i set it to 1.5 volts, its exactly that at boot up. stable at 3.8 on air. the whole 2 oz. copper thing is no bullsh*t. extremely please with mine. my asus boards always have some vdrop. just my 2 cents.

d4saken1

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Well I am going to go with an i7 if I go with Intel just to be clear.

I could go to a Gigabyte but honestly I don't like them and friends have had bad experieces with them which off put me.

I prefer Biostar/ASUS

But well for my graphic work I do it on Photosop CS 2 and I use various other small programs for my tablet etc.

Let us just say gaming here so we can specifically compare that.

As for the notua cooler I think I will keep the choice there to be honest for both builds. I could list why but lets just say I am set on it.

I am mainly thinking this.

i7 860 lynn vs AMD Pantom II 965 (screw it just ignore the 955 for now)

And the Asus MB for the AMD is a great motherboard. Biostar I know are so so but I want the Tpower i55 to go with the i7 I hold this Biostar MB over previous failures they have had.

If i switch out the powersupply on the AMD build I can lower it by about 30 bucks etc. Which in the end things would come out even.

I could even go into a build here using these match ups to show a complete other build I had been thinking of before this. Saving a lot more money and thus being able to go with two 5870s for the AMD build and coming out about the same as the Intel build with two 5850s in cost. (or three 5850s if it wouldn't just be wasted power)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131404

Could be used for the intel build vs the Biostar but I would still choose it over others.

I got to rambling and lost my thought.

Keep talking and advising guys I won't dismiss any comments and take them all into account then make revisions.