Radeon 5830 overclocking question

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Hello, I am running a Saphire Radeon 5830, it's performance is not that great however when I overclock it I can run bf3 completely maxed out (except AA) and have 45+ FPS, My temps are always fine, usually when it's overclocked it gets up to around 68. I use MSI Afterburner to overclock and I run it at 960/1240, I used to run it at 900/1300 but then I started to push it more and noticed I was able to squeeze in an extra FPS or two.

My question here is is there any way I can push it even further? I have never seen it artifact, all that happens is the screen goes dark, the app crashes then it tells me the driver stopped working. What can I do to push it even further? I mostly want to push it further so I can start using tessellation in Crysis 2 and add some AA in some other games. How do I increase the voltage of the card? I have tried unlocking it in MSI Afterburner in the .cfg file but it won't let me change anything, I figure I might be safe to push the card even further because my temps are completely fine.

I am going to add a second 5830 in the future because they are so cheap and in crossfire they perform pretty good but in the mean time I want to squeeze as much performance out of this I can.

I am running an i7 930 with a GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard and have a TX650W Corsair PSU

Any further overclocking will get you to achieve 2/3 FPS which represent no gain, add to that that you'll see your temps go mad and you might not be stable.

Anyway you can try Sapphire Trixx and bump up Core/Memory clocks with a little boost in voltages.

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
If I were able to get an extra 2-3FPS that would be amazing. Saphire Trixx? I'll check that out, thanks.

What should I keep the voltages under to be safe?

Edited : Wait did you mean 2/3rds of an FPS or 2-3 fps?

2 or 3 FPS or maybe more. The Core/Memory clock doesn't help too much like the power of the shaders, transistors, pixel fillrate and so on...

Max safe voltages for the 58xx series specially the 5850/30 is 1.25V, some guys reported 1030 MHZ/1300 @1.23V and some reported hitting the 1 GHz on stock voltages but i don't think this will happen with your Sapphire card. And i recommend to stay @ 1.2V and see what you get.

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Great, thanks a ton for the info.

How close is the 5830 to the 5850 when overclocked?

ok so I just installed Trixx and it makes my secondary monitor spasm like crazy when I try to change anything even the slightest bit.

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Any idea why it might be doing that? My secondary monitor also flickers when I overclock or underclock my video card, I hate it. I remember last year it did it then it stopped doing it, then I reinstalled windows and it started doing it again, I have tried changing drivers and many other things but no fix, I have also read about others having flickering issues when overclocking their video card but only when using multiple monitors.

This flickering with Saphire Trixx is ten times worse though..

PenDragon69

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Its been happening to me ever since I started to overclock with a second monitor. Its something to do with power saving & switching clock speeds from 2d to 3d. The only way Ive seen how to stop this, is to go into MSIAfterburner.cfg and set the UnofficialOverclockingMode = 2
This then ignores the 2d setting & keeps it at your clocked speed.

Downside though is that your card is then running full speed all the time. Better if you have an aftermarket cooler to stop the annoying loud fan.

The main reason why this doesnt work for me, is that it gives BSOD when I watch a video online, i.e Youtube ect..
I think its because for some reason any online videos require a lower clock rate.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this very annoying problem that I've read in forums as far back as 2009 :S

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

So there is a fix as long as you don't watch videos online? The only time I overclock is before I enter a game, but there is twitching like crazy when im in all the game menus, its really annoying..

I just picked up an additional 5830 for 75$ so I am now running crossfire and I am still having the twitching issue, my framerate has gone up a lot but games don't look as good even though the framerate is a lot higher it doesn't look as smooth because there is a lot of tearing, when I go to enable vsync it looks even worse. This mostly happens in Battlefield 3 which also freezes up a lot. I am running the latest drivers.

I also notice I am not able to overclock my cpu without getting blue screen, before I put in this second 5830 I could easily get my i7 930 up to 4.2ghz, now anymore then 3.5ghz and I bluescreen.. I have a 650Watt corsair psu (tx650w)