internet explorer bootup hijack

Every time I start Internet eExplorer, I get a home page
that is not the one I have been using. How do I delete
the one that keeps popping up? I have tried ad ware
remover and it doesn't work.
jrho_99@yahoo.com
2 answers Last reply
More about internet explorer bootup hijack

    "jrho" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Every time I start Internet eExplorer, I get a home page
    > that is not the one I have been using. How do I delete
    > the one that keeps popping up? I have tried ad ware
    > remover and it doesn't work.
    > jrho_99@yahoo.com

    There are so many people needing this information. Somehow, advertisers must
    think that by p***ing us off, we will be more inclined to buy what they are
    selling!! I suppose this line of thinking goes hand-in-hand with the
    intelligence level of most of the advertising that we see. Anyway, the
    following text will help you out of this mess.

    --
    ~john aka: jopa

    WARNING: If your PC is already infested with spyware/adware, resist the
    temptation to impulse buying of anti-spyware products that you see on the
    Net. Vendors of "rogue/suspect" anti-spyware products advertise heavily via
    Google's "AdWords" ("Sponsored Links" on Google's own search pages) and
    "AdSense" (Google-driven advertising delivered to third-party web sites),"
    otherwise known as "Sponsored Links." There are a variety of anti-spyware
    products and web sites -- some reliable and trustworthy, some not.

    Instead, you can get help online from a corps of savvy volunteers who
    specialize in busting spyware.

    First:
    I suggest you start by going here:
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php? OR
    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/

    The folks at these forums have a lot of experience in dealing with
    Hijackers/Spyware/Malware. There is no charge for the help and information
    available although donations are accepted. Be sure to read the guidelines,
    and following their instructions you will download a little program called
    HijackThis. Its purpose is simply to scan your computer and generate a log
    of everything that is running at that moment. It does not decide what is
    Good or Bad. That's what the experts at the forums will do. So *DO NOT* just
    arbitrarily start deleting what it finds.

    Next:
    Set up a user account and post your LOG there, not here. Someone will
    analyze it and let you know if anything is amuck and what you can do to fix
    it. In the event the site is down - DDOS attack, whatever, go here for a
    list of other Security Analysis sites and/or forums: http://a-sap.org/

    Check your browser settings here:
    http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/
    A series of "tests" (and suggested fixes) to help tweak IE's settings to
    help prevent infections when surfing the web.

    Always follow safe Internet practices:

    1. Keep your virus definitions up to date, and scan your system regularly.

    2. Keep your anti-spyware up to date, and scan your system regularly.

    3. Don't open email, or download attachments from unrecognized email
    addresses.

    4. Be careful when downloading email attachments, EVEN FROM PEOPLE YOU KNOW!
    Many viruses, worms, and trojans infect a person's system then immediately
    spread themselves to the people in the infected person's address book via
    email attachments.

    5. Be careful downloading files from the Internet. Scan all downloaded files
    with a reliable UP-TO-DATE antivirus program. Scan "zip" files BEFORE
    unzipping, and scan all unzipped files BEFORE USING THEM.

    6. Keep your Windows and IE current with all the latest patches and updates.

    7. USE A FIREWALL.

    Scumware Removal & Protection Tools:

    BEWARE of Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites
    One surprising and depressing aspect of the anti-spyware scene is the sheer
    number of applications that are mere rip-offs of Spybot Search & Destroy or
    Ad-Aware (two of the most recognized and trusted anti-spyware apps on the
    Net), or are simply re-branded clones of other applications released under
    different names and by different companies. In many cases, the "family
    resemblances" among these applications are all too easy to detect. Proof of
    this can be found here but, the following list contains a number of (mostly)
    FREE programs that can be used to eliminate immediate threats as well as
    secure your system.
    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/family_resemblances.htm

    CWShredder (FREE)
    Removes all variations of the spyware/hijacker "CoolWebSearch".
    This is the first line of defense whenever you suspect possible parasite
    infestation. Some current variations of CoolWebSearch block Ad-Aware and
    Spybot from catching everything.
    http://aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
    http://majorgeeks.com/download4086.html

    There is a new, really ugly variant of CoolWebSearch. Infected machines will
    close every browser window visiting many anti-spyware sites. Possibly
    anti-virus sites or even Windows Update. It will even close Spybot S&D and
    some other anti-spyware applications when you try to use them. To eliminate
    this threat, use CWS.SmartKiller Removal Utility:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/minifiles.html
    http://majorgeeks.com/download4113.html

    Spybot FREE
    Removes hijackers, spyware, adware, usage tracks and more. Resident
    "TeaTimer" feature monitors the processes called/initiated. It immediately
    detects known malicious processes wanting to start and terminates them. In
    addition, TeaTimer detects, when something wants to change some critical
    registry keys. It can protect you against such changes giving you an option
    to "Allow" or "Deny" the change.
    http://majorgeeks.com/download2471.html

    Ad-Aware (FREE) & Pro
    Protects against Data-mining, Ad-Ware, Parasites, Scumware, selected
    Trojans, Dialers, Malware, Browser hijackers, and tracking components.
    http://majorgeeks.com/download506.html

    HijackThis (FREE)
    As mentioned above - USE WITH CAUTION - Just scan your machine, then save &
    post the log to: Spywareinfo
    http://majorgeeks.com/download3155.html
    Tutorial and download:
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

    SpywareBlaster 3.2 (FREE)
    Prevent spyware from installing in the first place! Prevent the installation
    of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other
    potentially unwanted pests. Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet
    Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox
    http://majorgeeks.com/download2859.html

    If you need a good (FREE) antivirus:

    AVG
    http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php
    AVAST

    Online Virus Scanner:

    Trendmicro
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    Panda

    This may sound like a lot of work and it is. But, if you follow this
    outline, you'll learn a whole lot in the process and have a much more secure
    computer.

    ~john aka: jopa

    jrho,

    Please see the following instructions.

    Spyware/Virus Removal and Prevention:
    http://www.fixyourwindows.com/windowsxpsolutions.htm

    Startup and Temporary Files Cleanup:
    http://www.fixyourwindows.com/optimizewindows.htm

    Good Luck!

    "jrho" wrote:

    > Every time I start Internet eExplorer, I get a home page
    > that is not the one I have been using. How do I delete
    > the one that keeps popping up? I have tried ad ware
    > remover and it doesn't work.
    > jrho_99@yahoo.com

Configuration Internet Explorer Hijack Windows XP