Wierd keyboard/mouse suttering issue on L4D2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pigbearman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Hello everybody,

The past couple days I've been having some odd issues in L4D2. Basically when I move my mouse, it kinda stutters every once in a while, as if something is screwing with the lens (no obstructions and a new black mousepad). Sometimes it is there sometimes it isn't. If it is really bad I usually try unplugging the mouse and trying a different USB port. Sometimes that SEEMS to clear it up, sometimes it does nothing. Afterward, I checked to see if it was just the mouse. So I opened up the typing console, and held a key down. And it did the same odd stuttering thing, like I took my finger off the key for a split second or something.

Any ideas on what it could be? My computer should be more than enough to handle just 2 usb devices plugged in.

Computer:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
8GB DDR2 800 Mushkin
Intel core 2 Duo overclocked to 3.8GHZ
Two Sapphire HD4870's in crossfire

USB devices in question:

Zboard Keyboard

Logitech G5 gaming mouse.

HALP.

tortnotes

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Is there any stuttering in the game itself?

I've heard of some issues where antivirus programs will scan a particular file that Steam updates constantly in Source games. Intermittent scans of file -> stuttering and fps drops.

If you're not seeing any fps drops or other anomalies, though, I'm not sure what this could be.

Pigbearman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Nope, actual game performance is superb, everything maxed 1600x900 (crappy monitor) and usually always above 60fps. Odd thing is though, it doesn't do this in ANY of my other games, just L4D2 as far as I know.

Oxygen

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I have noticed a problem in L4D2 when pressing one or two keyboard keys while simulataneously moving the mouse. The effect is stuttering mouse motion, almost as if mouse input is being lost, like packet loss. It is NOT like mouse lag, however, which is predictable and smooth.

I have only noticed this in L4D2 and only since some time in January (no problems before that).

The problem does not always happen, but alt-tabbing out of the game and then back seems to trigger it. The only way I know of to get rid of it is to change the mouse rate settings in the Logitech device manager a few times (while L4D2 is running in the background). It doesn't always work immediately but a few retries will solve the problem. I have no permanent solution though.

I'm using a Logitech G9 mouse and Microsoft Sidewinder X6 keyboard.

O

Ph03n1x

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
I have a similar issue in L4D2 but it is further amplified by a keyboard issue which is somehow related.

Basically when I try to move using WSAD the game takes a second to respond, it feels quite like your being pushed around the map. Often the use (e) key becomes non-responsive.

The mouse is also slow to respond, I click to fire and 2-3 shots go off, but my ammo only goes down by one as it should. Switching weapons with the mouse wheel is strange as well, I switch to the weapon I want and immediately switch to my original weapon, takes 3-5 weapon swaps to get a pipe out.

I think I've tried enough to bring this to someone's attention.

-Batteries for m/kb replaced new.
-Tried alternate wired PS2 keyboard, same symptoms
-Turned as much video settings down as I could without making the game look like ass
-New m/kb drivers
-countless restarts
-the verify cache files in steam, it finds 1 file and says it will reacquire

The issue has only been present for no more than 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.