WOW 5870 DX 11 C 4 yourself

kohd

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Pretty nice improvements in 3D rendering. Really makes the older DX9 and 10's 3D walls look child-like in comparison ;P (thinking back to the pasted-on 2D textures using parallax occlusion...how did I ever think that looked good??)

So it would seem that DX11 with tessellation enabled will perform worse than DX10...but DX11 without tessellation enabled will perform better than DX10. So since DX10 isn't even capable of utilizing tessellation at all...it's pretty safe to say DX11 will completely push 9 and 10 out the window when a few of these new games release. There go my worries that DX11 is just another DX10 failure ;) Can't wait.

Jaysin

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
Guys, according to Nvidia DX11 doesn't matter! ;-)

In all seriousness it will certainly matter to them once Fermi is out but I am already impressed. Now we need more games and devs on the bandwagon!

Eh, decent. Not shocked about the losses in performance though.

And I remind everyone, DX10 adoption was just as fast when it first came out. (CoH got patched, Crysis, etc). Lets see what happens in a few months, kay?

Name 5 games that were patched within 8 months of DX10 release? No?
Look, theres too many DX10 games that can be patched easily, and too many coming thatll ve DX11 for that statement to hold any water

^^ Within 8 months? That means around March 2008 then...I'll use January as my cutoff point, just for simplicities sake:

Bioshock
Call of Juarez
Company Of Heroes
Crysis
FSX
Gears of War
Hellgate London
Lost Planet
Shadowrun
Universe at War: Earth Assault
Unreal Tournament 3
World in Conflict

And thats not counting MMO's that got patched (EVE, D&D, etc)

Thats a dozen by the close of 2007, with another half dozen by mid May (the following 6 months). As I've said: DX10 adoption was quite high; higher then DX9.0 was anyway...I also note, only three of these (Shadowrun, Hellgate, and to a lesser extent, UiW) can be considered AAA titles. Frankly, the DX10 launch was far, far more impressive.

I also find it odd...how bad the benchmark looks when DX11 isn't turned on...thats a whole different debate though...

Call me in 18 months; We'll be around 30 or so titles by then, or about the same as DX10 was. If you continue to think companies will waste their time and money to patch legacy titles, simply because its EASY, leads me to think you're out of your mind, quite frankly. Time and money, its that simple.

sirkillalot

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
still dx11 looks way better than dx 10, than did dx 10 looked better than dx9 did
in fact i didnt even play 1 game in dx 10 at all, cause i saw s**t little diff and i play games all day. but i will play dx 11 games asap [:mousemonkey:4]

MiamiU

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

if it wasnt for the economy, i'm sure we would see similar numbers of games developed for the dx11 debut. I think the number of games developed for dx11 will pick up very fast when the masses become aware of just how much improvement it is over dx10.

Besides comparing improvement to DX11 to that of DX9 going to DX10 isnt fair. DX11 is what DX10 was supposed to be if it wasnt for technology feet draggers like Nvidia.

Harrisson

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007

So its 6 games within 8 months, or 3 within half a year after Vista was launched.

Lets get it straight, there were two DX11 games BEFORE DX11 was even launched, and will be dozen or more within half a year, while DX10 had FIRST game 5 months AFTER Dx10 was released... And still "DX10 launch was far, far more impressive"? [:mousemonkey:5]

jennyh

Splendid
Tesselation is basically what solid 3d rendering was compared to old style vector graphics back in the 80's. So there is a performance hit - that doesn't matter when games are already running at 130fps.

Anyone who believes tesselation won't be standard is deluded. Nvidia might not have the capability but they know that they need to have it for their future. Any nvidia fan who isn't impressed needs to take a step back and look again.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
DirectX 11 is truly amazing and it will be adopted far quicker than DirectX 10, period.

As for nVidia, well they aren't doing great but I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Besides I really want a 5870 for $250! Lets go nVidia!

Just as a side note, the performance hit is similar to that of large scale AA, but tessellation tooks a LOT better. That is fine by me.

Alot of devs are saying DX11 adoption will go much faster due to its ease and 2 OS to run it.
Also, having working DX11 drivers that work is nice too, something nVidia failed to do with DX10, and of course DX10.1, ooops, no, that was their HW, they didnt have any

No, not ok! :non:

You and all your anti-DX11 anti-Vista BS don't get to say 'wait'.

And no, DX10 was not 'just as fast', DX11 games came out before the hardware and OS were officially launched, which is not the case for DX10. As I mentioned before adoption of even the 'tack-on' games will be much faster than before, and won't be delayed by XP laggars contrary to what you preached; along with so many other things you got wrong. :heink:

BTW, and to even further 'prove you wrong', Futuremark is going to release their game sans XP support, just DX10+ and Vista+, so for you who didn't preach " Let's See.. " before, you don't get to try and fall back on that now as a cop-out! [:thegreatgrapeape:6]

January would make it 12 months, March would be 14 months !!
DX10 Launched with Vista on January 30, 2007 dude !!

I still can't figure out if you intentionally lie, or are just that ignorant of the facts. :heink:

Perhaps, you're confusing the launch of the R600 with the launch of DX10, which once again I'd forgive someone else, but there's an obvious motivation behind your 'errors'. :pfff:

Alot of devs are saying DX11 adoption will go much faster due to its ease and 2 OS to run it.
Also, having working DX11 drivers that work is nice too, something nVidia failed to do with DX10, and of course DX10.1, ooops, no, that was their HW, they didnt have any

And yet, XP still has the largest user base.

BTW, and to even further 'prove you wrong', Futuremark is going to release their game sans XP support, just DX10+ and Vista+, so for you who didn't preach " Let's See.. " before, you don't get to try and fall back on that now as a cop-out!

ACtually, there's already a few DX10 only games. All have crashed and burned sales wise though. I could just as easily point out that MW:2 lacks any advanced DX support as a counter argument.

And I would appriciate it if some of you would stop putting words in my mouth. My stance for the past year has been:
1: 4000 series and earlier hardware could not run DX11. [Correct] (Sorry Jaydee, I won this one)
2: Games would not be patched to DX11 after the fact [jury still out]
3: DX11 adoption would be about as quick as DX10 was (XP Factor, lack of HW) over the first year or so [jury out; only a dozen or so games announced so far, which puts it at about the same adoption of DX10]
4: Tesselation would likely have a noticable performance impact [Correct]

So right now, I'm 2 for 4.

As for the release date, you try connecting to Tom's and Wikipedia at 5kb/sec I get here at work [gotta love company screening policy], while trying to get out by 5 EST; I didn't know when Vista came out, Wikipedia wouldn't open, so I guestimated late spring. So yeah, I goofed badly on that front.

So its a little over a dozen games by the end of the first year, which is about what I predict for DX11 (probably closer to 18 or so). I still expect DX10 titles due to hardware avaliability, something most everyone else here is discounting (But its easy! :D).

And falling fast, even Vlave noted this as a result of their last survey.

ACtually, there's already a few DX10 only games. All have crashed and burned sales wise though. I could just as easily point out that MW:2 lacks any advanced DX support as a counter argument.

What DX10-only games (we're talking about from a gaming house, not tiny producers, which was your issue then as well), because in fact you said there wouldn't be any, there have already been VISTA-only, but they weren't DX10 only.

And I would appriciate it if some of you would stop putting words in my mouth.

Not putting words in your mouth, actually emember what you said, which you apparently don't. You do realize we can post to them

My stance for the past year has been:
1: 4000 series and earlier hardware could not run DX11. [Correct] (Sorry Jaydee, I won this one)

NO that was not your original statement, just your revised one afterwards which is also wrong, you originally said it wouldn't run on down hardware to which I replied with the link (and nice picture for you) to M$' own statements a few short weeks earlier that SPECIFICALLY addressed that issue. As for your fight with JDJ that happened during my summer hiatus when I wasn't here to counter your BS!. In fact D3D 11 release WILL have features that are specific additions to DX19 and even DX9 hardware, that too was already extensively explained by M$, the biggest feature to go throughout the line will be greater multi-thread support. Even your statement above is just wrong since DX11 will run on the 4000 series, you will just not get anything that requires DX11 hardware, but it will still run DX11 as it is a complete superset.

2: Games would not be patched to DX11 after the fact [jury still out]

Games have already been patched after the fact , so the jury's verdict is already in.
http://forums.battleforge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24137

Plus LOTR and D&D.

3: DX11 adoption would be about as quick as DX10 was (XP Factor, lack of HW) over the first year or so [jury out; only a dozen or so games announced so far, which puts it at about the same adoption of DX10]

As it related to the model, we already know adoption is far ahead of DX10 with games before the official launch, and multiple games available at launch (DX10 only had a few demos, many of the G80 ones were believed to be DX10 but were OGL wrappers).

4: Tesselation would likely have a noticable performance impact [Correct]

Actually it's not that simple, you also criticized ATi for having a non-DX11 tessellator in the previous generations, which is funny since it looks like nV will have no DX11 tessellator, and doing it in general shaders will be even slower.

As for the release date, you try connecting to Tom's and Wikipedia at 5kb/sec I get here at work...

Dude, then don't hit 'reply' until you checked. If this would reduce your errors that would be worth it. You post that stuff and then people think you know what you're talking about and even if you were 2/3 instead of really 1/4, that would still mean you're still putting out too many errors for these discussions, which become references for people.

Seriously dude, you're on an anti-DX11 campaign, at least make the effort to research your points, especially if they're right there on something as easy as Wiki which is far from even being a 'good' source. :pfff: