Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need boot help, serious problem

Last response: in Systems
October 15, 2009 11:26:47 PM

I am a first time builder. I had an old tower and I decided to buy all the components and install myself.

I put it all together and turned it on, the led on the motherboard flashed once and the fan on the cpu, psu, and video card gave about half a spin, then the system shut off. No sound on the system speakers.

Took it all apart, went with the breadboarding advice. Hooked up only the psu and the cpu with its fan, plugged in the 24 pin power cord and the 4 pin cpu power. Turned it on with the same result.

Took off and reinstalled the cpu, took the RAM in and out. Nothing, not even a beep. I was very careful during construction. The only thing I can think of (other than just plain faulty components) is that I was not grounded at all times during assembly.

PSU: OCZ Modxstream-pro 500W power supply
CPU: Intel i5 with stock fan
Motherboard: MSI P55-CD53

I need some advice. At least how can I narrow down which component doesnt work

More about : boot problem

a b à CPUs
October 15, 2009 11:58:20 PM

So now the system does nothing when you press the power button?
Try using the power button on the motherboard to rule out a problem with the case or front panel connectors.
You've probably already done this if you've breadboarded the system. If nothing at all happens, either the motherboard isn't functioning at all or the power supply is shot. If your processor or RAM was no good, the motherboard should at least turn on and give you a beep code.
If you have another modern power supply, you could try booting the system with it. If you have some means of testing the power supply (the guts to your old computer perhaps) then do so.
I suspect the motherboard, though. If all else fails RMA it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2009 12:16:35 AM

Is the PSU switch on?
m
l
Related resources
October 16, 2009 12:20:53 AM

buildingnewpc said:
I am a first time builder. I had an old tower and I decided to buy all the components and install myself.

I put it all together and turned it on, the led on the motherboard flashed once and the fan on the cpu, psu, and video card gave about half a spin, then the system shut off. No sound on the system speakers.

Took it all apart, went with the breadboarding advice. Hooked up only the psu and the cpu with its fan, plugged in the 24 pin power cord and the 4 pin cpu power. Turned it on with the same result.

Took off and reinstalled the cpu, took the RAM in and out. Nothing, not even a beep. I was very careful during construction. The only thing I can think of (other than just plain faulty components) is that I was not grounded at all times during assembly.

PSU: OCZ Modxstream-pro 500W power supply
CPU: Intel i5 with stock fan
Motherboard: MSI P55-CD53

I need some advice. At least how can I narrow down which component doesnt work

Try hooking the power supply up to just a fan...not attached to the MB. If it still does the same thing, it's your PS. If not, it's your MB.

You could also try only one stick of ram to see if any of the sticks are bad.

Look on the motherboard for any blown capacitors. Toms had trouble with that model MB during overclocking, but I'm guessing its a power supply problem. OCZ has a very good customer support program.
m
l
October 16, 2009 2:02:49 AM

I have tried with many configurations, still the motherboard bleeps on and quickly shuts off. I cannot power up the ps without it connected to a motherboard, and I only have a laptop so no luck with trying the ps on another computer.

I don't see anything physically broken on the motherboard, and I have unplugged and reinstalled every component. Plugged all power cords in correctly. I think its time to send it back.
m
l

Best solution

October 16, 2009 2:19:58 AM

buildingnewpc said:
I have tried with many configurations, still the motherboard bleeps on and quickly shuts off. I cannot power up the ps without it connected to a motherboard, and I only have a laptop so no luck with trying the ps on another computer.

I don't see anything physically broken on the motherboard, and I have unplugged and reinstalled every component. Plugged all power cords in correctly. I think its time to send it back.

Don't send "it" back till you know which part is broken.

Here is a guide on how to jump start your ps using a paper clip.

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/96712-how-jump-start-powe...
October 16, 2009 5:31:33 AM

Wow thanks that was easy. So I am assuming that if the psu turns on its not the current problem with the build.

So its either the motherboard or the processor - I'm going to guess motherboard on this one. I was very careful not to touch or bend any of the pins on the processor, so I really don't think its my new i5. Also, the fan seems to want to work, it gets a couple spins in before the computer shuts down.

Now I am about ready to box the MSI board up and send it back - the only question is whether to replace it or get a different one altogether.
m
l
October 16, 2009 5:48:27 AM

So a quick recap:

I tried to plug everything in when the components were all in the tower to no avail.

I took everything out of the tower, put it on a insulated surface, plugged in just the MB, PSU, and CPU. Still just turns on and immediately shuts off.

Tried the RAM in the correct position(s), both with a single stick and multiple sticks. Also tried with and without the video card. Also tried to have a number of components in breadboard configuration. Still nothing.

Used a paper clip in the PSU and found that it powered up, plugged in an optical drive and it worked.

So that leaves motherboard and processor. Processor is right out of the box, as in the MB. I am going to return the MB. Any last thoughts?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2009 6:18:10 AM

Sounds like the mobo. Did you have any standoffs touching the mobo where they didn't belong? I mean one screw in each hole and one standoff for each - no more or less...

I recommend gigabyte mobos - they are easy to use and hard to break. Just my two bits.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2009 6:21:28 AM

It could be RAM voltages. What kind of RAM are you using?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2009 7:15:23 AM

After what you've done, and given you cannot either swap in a new psu or stest your psu on a different system, it's time to return the mobo.

While the problem could still be psu, the odds are very much in favor of a bad mobo.
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
October 16, 2009 8:11:57 AM

Unfortunately, the problem could still be your PSU.

A cut 'n paste from a previous thread:

Try to verify (as well as you can) that the PSU works. If you have a multimeter, you can do a rough checkout of a PSU using the "paper clip trick". You plug the bare PSU into the wall. Insert a paper clip into the green wire pin and one of the black wire pins beside it. That's how the case power switch works. It applies a ground to the green wire. Turn on the PSU and the fan should spin up. If it doesn't, the PSU is dead.

If you have a multimeter, you can check all the outputs. Yellow wires should be 12 volts, red 5 volts, orange 3.3 volts, blue wire -12 volts, purple wire is the 5 volt standby.

The gray wire is really important. It sends a control signal called something like "PowerOK" from the PSU to the motherboard. It should go from 0 volts to about 5 volts within a half second of pressing the case power switch. If you do not have this signal, your computer will not boot. The tolerances should be +/- 5%. If not, the PSU is bad.

Unfortunately (yes, there's a "gotcha"), passing all the above does not mean that the PSU is good. It's not being tested under any kind of load. But if the fan doesn't turn on, the PSU is dead.

If you have breadboarded the system with motherboard, CPU & HSF, PSU, and a case speaker and you get silence instead of a series of long beeps (no memory), then your PSU, motherboard, or CPU is bad. At that point the only way to determine what is bad is by substituting known good parts.
m
l
October 16, 2009 9:08:14 AM

Try resetting the bios settings, read the mobo manual and see how to do it with the jumpers. If you don't have the manual, try taking out the battery temporarily and then putting back in (need confirmation on this). Also are all the nuts behind the motherboard in the right places?
m
l
October 16, 2009 6:07:34 PM

Ok lets see...

All standoffs are properly in place, check and double checked, also took the mobo off the tray and still no success.

RAM is DDR3 which is what the board uses (as do all i5/i7 boards I think) running at 1600, which is fine by the board's specs.

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH - Retail
Dual Channel Intel Core i5 & Core i7 CPU for P55 motherboard
Brand spankin new.

Tried resetting the CMOS, both with the jumper on the pins off and in the two configurations available including the one spec'd for reset in the board manual. Also removed the battery for like 10 minutes. No good.

No beeps whatsoever in any setup. LED for phase 1 power flashes on for a fraction of a second before dying

Tried the paperclip trick with the PSU. Fan spins, plugged in an optical drive and it openned when I pressed the button, so definitely getting power. Maybe I will borrow a multimeter from a lab and check it more, but I'm pretty sure PSU is ok. Definitely going to try the grey wire if I can find a multimeter. Oh, and the I/O switch on the back of the PSU was on for anyone who thinks this might be the problem

So what are the chances this is a processor problem. It's a new i5 out of the box. Right now I'm am pretty sure its the MOBO
m
l
October 16, 2009 6:11:17 PM

Almost forgot:

No visible damage to motherboard, or wiggly parts.

Also, I hooked up an old PSU that I am pretty sure still worked when I took it out of my old computer (it is the only part I kept). No effect.
m
l
October 16, 2009 7:21:22 PM

There's an interesting article on Foxconn sockets on Anandtech, but not sure if that could be related to your problem since you weren;t OCing yet. You can take out your processor and see if it was making good contact at least.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2009 7:34:55 PM

Now I would say it's time to RMA the mobo.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2009 8:02:03 PM

+1^. As I said earlier, once you swapped in a second psu and could not get a "no memory" beeping with nothing else installed, the odds shifted heavily to the mobo.

You *did* try the second psu with nothing (no memory) installed, didn't you?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2009 10:33:38 PM

Mobo or processor bad here, flip a coin. Every symptom mentioned would point to the mobo, or at least a bad mobo would have those symptoms. Too bad you don't have one to switch out.
m
l
October 17, 2009 3:39:40 AM

Thanks everybody, ill let you know what happens
m
l
!