Outlook Express question....

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 6, 2004 1:06:07 PM

Is there a way to set Outlook express to receive the messages of
people who are on my address book and block messages that are not in
my adress book.... The only way i can do it now is to place them on my
block list but the junk mail changes adresses and blocking up to 40
pices of mail a day can be tedious.
Please include as much info as possible/steps to do it sonce i'm not
particularly computer savvy and don't want to screw it up.... Thanks,
MH
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 6, 2004 5:19:50 PM

Mark:

There is no way directly in Outlook Express. However there is a way with
third pary anti-spam software. One I use is iHateSpam. It has an enemy's
list and a friends list. (It is available from Sunbelt Software.) I would
bet that you can find plenty of other anti-spam stuff that does the same
thing. Just be sure to check that it works with Outlook Express.

Rich
"MarkHand" <marty1968@iwon.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to set Outlook express to receive the messages of
> people who are on my address book and block messages that are not in
> my adress book.... The only way i can do it now is to place them on my
> block list but the junk mail changes adresses and blocking up to 40
> pices of mail a day can be tedious.
> Please include as much info as possible/steps to do it sonce i'm not
> particularly computer savvy and don't want to screw it up.... Thanks,
> MH
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 6, 2004 6:39:02 PM

"MarkHand" <marty1968@iwon.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to set Outlook express to receive the messages of
> people who are on my address book and block messages that are not in
> my adress book.... The only way i can do it now is to place them on my
> block list but the junk mail changes adresses and blocking up to 40
> pices of mail a day can be tedious.
> Please include as much info as possible/steps to do it sonce i'm not
> particularly computer savvy and don't want to screw it up.... Thanks,
> MH

I have good luck with Qurb on both OE and Outlook. When you first install
it, it goes through your address book and your inbox and creates a "white
list" of allowed senders. Only those folks' emails get into your inbox
directly from then on. All others wind up in the Qurb folder. You can check
that folder directly or, with the Qurb button, view new additions to the
folder without opening them. Any that are not spam can be clicked so they go
into your inbox and the sender is approved from then on. One of the BEST
features is that you can set a period of time - a week or more - after which
an addition to the Qurb folder is AUTOMATICALLY deleted from your computer.
You never have to delete spam manually again. Qurb also has the option of
using "challenge" emails to separate spam from friends, the idea being that
spammers won't be able to reply to the challenge email while your friends
will. FWIW, I find Qurb works fine without enabling the "challenge" system.
I have nothing to do with the company, I'm just a satisfied customer. BTW,
it costs $30 but they have a free trial period. http://www.qurb.com/
a b D Laptop
June 6, 2004 8:56:52 PM

On 06 Jun 2004 in comp.sys.laptops, MarkHand wrote:

> Is there a way to set Outlook express to receive the messages of
> people who are on my address book and block messages that are not in
> my adress book.... The only way i can do it now is to place them on my
> block list but the junk mail changes adresses and blocking up to 40
> pices of mail a day can be tedious.
> Please include as much info as possible/steps to do it sonce i'm not
> particularly computer savvy and don't want to screw it up.... Thanks,

Eudora (http://www.eudora.com/) includes junk filtering in its US$49 paid
version. Plus it's less prone to viruses. Or look into one of the
third-party spam filtering options.

--
Joe Makowiec can be reached at:
http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe

On 6 Jun 2004 09:06:07 -0700, marty1968@iwon.com (MarkHand) wrote:

>Is there a way to set Outlook express to receive the messages of
>people who are on my address book and block messages that are not in
>my adress book.... The only way i can do it now is to place them on my
>block list but the junk mail changes adresses and blocking up to 40
>pices of mail a day can be tedious.
>Please include as much info as possible/steps to do it sonce i'm not
>particularly computer savvy and don't want to screw it up.... Thanks,
>MH
You can set up a rule that says that if the to: includes people - then
include your address book. Then stop processing rules.
Next I have a rule that says if to: doesn't include my address it
moves the message to a folder that I named "SPAM?".
This works for all but spam that is specifically addressed to me. You
can add anything that slips thru to the blocked list, but as you say
the addresses change.
You could also have the second rule just delete all messages that
don't pass the first test. I prefer to be able to check the SPAM?
folder now and then and add any that I want to the address book.
Good luck.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 12, 2004 8:13:03 PM

MarkHand wrote:

> Is there a way to set Outlook express to receive the messages of
> people who are on my address book and block messages that are not in
> my adress book.... The only way i can do it now is to place them on my
> block list but the junk mail changes adresses and blocking up to 40
> pices of mail a day can be tedious.
> Please include as much info as possible/steps to do it sonce i'm not
> particularly computer savvy and don't want to screw it up.... Thanks,
> MH

Do a search for MailWasher. Its an mail screener that deletes bad mail - before
- it downloads on your computer, plus keeps a blacklist of bad guys so if
another one shows up, it sees the domain and slaps it down. It goes for the
user and domain names, no filter words to have to put in. I've been running it
about 5 months now and it's wonderful. Works with any mail program.

TJ
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 12, 2004 8:13:04 PM

McAffee SpamKiller will do that, and allows you to review "killed" messages.
If they have been excluded in error, they can be rescued. It works great for
me !

Adil Vaz

!