Modifying agp aperture/ram allocation to the video card?

Arduous

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
Hello there. I had a couple questions about allocating more memory for the video card to use.

I recently bought Battlefield Bad company 2, and I heard that a way to reduce framelag was to 'modify the AGP Aperture to 256 mb', by going into the BIOS and looking for 'advanced chip features'.

After carefully looking through the BIOS, I found no such thing.

So my questions are: Is it possible to actually do that for my system? If so, how do I modify it for my particular system?

My specs are:
Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-UD3L.
GFX card: XFX GTS 250.
Ram: Kingston 2gb x2 (4gb total).
CPU: Intel E8400. (3.0 ghz x2).

Thanks in advance.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
That is determined by software I believe. so there is nothing for you to change. It will do what it is programmed to do, and that is all. You have a GTS 250- is it a 1gb or 512mb version? Also- what resolution are you playing at? if you are playing at a resolution lower than 1920x1080, there is pretty much no way you are running out of Video RAM, even with the 512mb version. the 1gb version should have plenty of Video RAM- probably more than the GU can even handle. If you are not running well, you'll probably just have to drop detail settings or even the resolution. Your GPU is probably just not powerful enough to run the settings you are attempting to play at.

Arduous

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
I have the 1gb version, and I'm running at 1280x1024.
The interesting thing is it doesn't make much of a difference in frames if I have settings all on high or all on low.

Hmm.. well thanks for your input.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
at that resolution and with 1gb of Video RAM, there is NO WAY you are running out. have you thought about trying to OC your CPU a little bit farther? Also- I would try and monitor your CPU usage and GPU usage while playing. If your CPU is at 100% and your GPU is lower, you're CPU bottlenecked, and nothing you do to your GPU will make much difference. If your GPU is at 100% and your CPU is lower, and you aren't running as well as you want to, then your GPU just isn't fast enough to play like you want it to. You could try OCing the GPU in that case.