2 gb vs 4gb of ram

digital7

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Hello,

right now i have 2 gigabytes of kingston hyperx @ 1066 and windows 7 ultimate 32 bit and the system is running very good.

do you think i should buy 2 more gb??

my system :
psu :hyper type-r 580 w
mb :gigabyte ep45-ud3
cpu : intel core 2 quad q9550 @ 2.83 Ghz
vga : nvidia xfx 9800gt
ram : 2gb (2x1) kingston hyperx @1066
hdd : wd 500 gb + segate 500 gb ( not raid )

thanks in advance

Hi.

That depends of the use that you want for your PC, 4GB is good for games and some heavy applications, but bear in mind that with a 32 bits OS you only can use 3.5GB or less, so, if you want add another 2GB for 4GB total, you also need install a x64 OS.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
With a 32bit OS, you can only address a maximum of 4 gb of RAM. From that max you subtract your Video RAM, so with a 512mb graphics card, it brings you down to about 3.5 gb. Generally there is also a little bit of reserved space too, so bring that down a little more, so a bit less than 3.5 gb of ram left. 4gb is useful for Win 7, especially when you like multi-tasking, but really, its better to have a 64bit OS if you are going to have that much RAM. I would probably still get the extra 2 gb anyway as it is going to help with multitasking and intensive programs, etc, just know you won't see the full benefit without going 64 bit.

Well, on a 32-bit OS there won't be much improvement because most of the RAM won't be used. [Why 32-bit Win7 anyway?]

Aside from that: More RAM helps ensure there is enough consecutive space free for data to be stored, hence much less of a probablity of page faults (which cost a ton of processing power to resolve). So up to a certain point, more RAM = more speed. After that, you won't see much gain.

Right now, 4GB/6GB [Daul/Tri channel] is fine for most applications. 2GB is considered low, but good enough on a 32-bit OS.

digital7

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
well, i mostly use my pc for heavy gaming and applicationsfor example converts.
i know that i have to install the x64 bit edition but that is not a problem.

so i will buy 2 more gb

thank you for your answers.

(how do i choose the best answer ??)

digital7

Distinguished
May 13, 2009

thank you for helping me. i couldn't find this button because i created this thread as a discussion. (i hadn't seen the "question" choice)

thank you all for your interest and your answers.

Yes, add the extra memory. Don't be too crazy about going 64 though, although I would suggest you make the switch someday. I ran a XP 32 bit for a couple of years with 4 gig of memory. You may not use all of it, but you will be running in dual channel mode, and you also know you have all of the memory on board that your current OS can possibly use.

randomkid

Distinguished

No need since your system is running very good. why spend on something you apparently don't need?

zepprx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010

Does video ram detract (take away) from the RAM even when the VRAM is discrete??

I have a Core-2-Duo laptop with 4GB of RAM and only 256MB of VRAM (discrete)... used for stock quotes & charts. It's nearly peaked out, running at 70-100% CPU and 70%+ physical memory usage, already.

If I upgrade to a i3 or i5 laptop with still 4GB of RAM (because 8GB on a laptop is ridiculously expensive), but a much better 1GB video card, would that card then actually NOT really help, because it's detracting from RAM?

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
What will happen is that if you have a 32bit OS, 4gb of system RAM and a 1gb discrete Video RAM, you will have all 1gb Video RAM, but will only see 3gb of the system RAM. Thats why you want to upgrade to a 64bit OS so you can have all 4gb of system RAM along with your 1gb of Video RAM.

zepprx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010

I know that 32-bit OS's only see 3.5GB out of 4GB of system RAM regardless, but are you actually saying the video ram takes away even further, even if it's discrete?? So for 1GB video ram (discrete) for example, one would end up with with only 2.5GB of system RAM free?

My understanding was that as long as it's discrete, it won't take away from system RAM (32 or 64-bit, doesn't matter)

zepprx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
So the video ram is really not acting discrete within 32-bit OS, but it will after going to 64-bit OS?

I have the Vista->Win7 upgrade disc but since this laptop is a year old, I was simply going to do the smooth upgrade to 32-bit, rather than have to restore everything in order to reach 64-bit (how tough is that)... worth doing??

I'll start a new thread on this question (or search for one that's already out there) also. Thanks

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
It is still discrete whatever the case, but still has to be addressed. Also- its probably worth doing a fresh install and just backing up/restoring your files anyway as it will just clean things up and run better. I don't ever just run the "upgrade" path.