Sign in with
Your question

FX-60 upgrade?

Last response: in CPUs
January 2, 2010 1:38:12 AM

I currently have an older AMD Athlon FX-60 dual core proc @ 2.6ghz

My question is, will i see a large enough performance increase by upgrading to a Phenom II x2 550 or x3?

I also need a new card as mine is fried, I'd like to get a 4890.

Would overclocking my current proc be sufficient? Or do i need to invest in a new proc(which also means new mobo and ram)? Would the performance increase be worth the cost of the upgrade. I use this for gaming. Crysis, WoW, TF2, LoL, DA:o , etc.

I'm running windows 7 ult 64bit

More about : upgrade

a b à CPUs
January 2, 2010 2:02:47 AM

umm, the fx-60 is the best S939 processor out there, there is no upgrade for you unless you get a new motherboard/processor/memory
m
l
Related resources
January 2, 2010 2:07:42 AM

mindless728 said:
umm, the fx-60 is the best S939 processor out there, there is no upgrade for you unless you get a new motherboard/processor/memory

yes, i know lol i put that in my original post.
m
l
January 2, 2010 2:09:49 AM

rolli59 said:
selling your CPU on ebay will pay for a new Motherboard and CPU
http://computers.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=fx60&_sacat=...

Oh wow! people are actually buying them for that much?! I will probably do that.

And thanks Pyscho for the charts, but will i see real world gaming performance increase? like more than 5-10 fps
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2010 3:02:09 AM

People are paying through the nose for 939 chips like the good ol FX-60. Users that buy such CPUs often have a fairly decent SLI or crossfire rig that is held back by a single core CPU, or they fried theirs overclocking it.

Anyway you will see a gain upgrading to a 550 BE, but you will realize a larger gain when you overclock it of course :D . With the money you can make selling your old S939 board and CPU, they really are worth more apart than together, you may even be able to spring for a quad core Phenom II.
m
l
January 2, 2010 2:58:35 PM

Awesome thanks guys! I'm gonna put the stuff up on ebay as soon as I take some pics of it.

I'm def stoked to get a new set up and play crysis in (almost) all its glory lol
m
l
!