Motherboard USB problems PLEASE HELP!

Quitoman

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
I have a Biostar TA785GE 128M 6.1 Motherboard. Everything works fine except the front USB ports.

If I plug my external hard drive into any of the USB ports in the back it works perfectly fine. If I plug my external hard drive into either of the front USB ports the hard drive continuiously clicks and the blue light (designating power is working) doesn't light up. Windows plays the New Device sound but nothing pops up. It also doesn't show up on my computer, device manager, or disk manager.

If I plug anything else into the front USB ports it works perfectly. If I plug my external hard drive into the USB port on my keyboard the drive doesn't click at all so it seems to me like the front USB ports have more power than the keyboard USB port but not as much as the back USB ports.

I have tried all three motherboard USB headers, and I have moved the JUSBV2 jumper over and NOTHING has worked. It's driving me crazy someone please help!

Solution
Hi.

Check the manual of your mobo to know how connect correctly the USB front ports. With the power that provides the mobo is enough for the external HD, you don't need buy anything more.

Quitoman

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007

I already have a USB Y cable and I would try that but here the thing.

For some retarded ass reason I plugged the external hard drive into the front USB ports and let it click. Then I put the computer to sleep. as soon as it went to the sleep the drive spun up, and after I woke it up the blue light lit up and the drive works perfectly now. I hate computers sometimes.

BUT, when I put the computer to "sleep" all the fans are still going as if it never really went to sleep. The monitor and the HDD LEDs turn off but with my old motherboard everything would turn off. It sounds and looks like its still on, is this normal?

TRENDING THREADS