CPU speed and bottlenecking in relation to GPU

Blak op blob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Hey all, im looking at purchasing a laptop, and i definitely want to to get 2 sli'd gtx 260s, but im not sure what CPU to get with it, because of possible bottlenecking. My two options are a dual core at 2.8ghz and a quadcore at 2ghz. I would thoroughly appreciate any help. I would like to know if both would bottleneck that GPU set up, and which is better overall with that set up.

Cheers.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
exactly what processors are they?

for an SLI setup, i would imagine a quad core would handle it much better. but the better processor isnt aloways the one with the higher clockspeed. and remmber you may be able to OC one much further than another.

but even a decent dual core SHOULD be able to habdle SLId 260's.

if the quad you are referring to is the i7 720 that alienware offer in their SLI lappys, then yes it will do very well. MUCH better than the core2duo.

I was confused at his original question because I thought he wanted to get a laptop and a desktop with two GTX260s.

Now I know he's talking about the GTX260M and not GTX260s.

And what's with your tone? Maybe you should provide a better response instead of bashing me with your post.

How about mentioning not being able to overclock a cpu on a laptop, and he can't be referring to an i7 720 because that's clocked at 1.6GHz and not 2.0GHz.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
not being able to overclock a laptop?

ive overclocked many laptops in my time, so i have no idea where that info came from.

i didnt mean to be so harsh though, but ive been dealing with so many threads today with people being totally unhelpful that im a little on edge.

but, he is looking for a laptop. from his post i get the impression he is looking at two in particular. hence why im trying to get more info.

correct about the 720, is it the 920qxm that at 2.0ghz? based on the spec though, i would imagine the quad he is loking at is an i7, which would make it far superior to a core2duo laptop.

Start here, although the 260 has been replaced by the 280 in current models;

http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=productdetail&model=M980NU

here's your CPU options:

Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53GHz, 3MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB
Intel Core 2 Duo P8800 2.66GHz, 3MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB [add $45.00]
Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 2.80GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB [add $120.00]
Intel Core 2 Duo P9700 2.80GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB [add $150.00]
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000 2.00GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB [add $155.00]
Intel Core 2 Duo T9900 3.06GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB [add $345.00]
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9300 2.53GHz, 12MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB [add $910.00]

I see, I apologize for my rude response.

I meant that most laptops have usually locked BIOS and heat dissipation usually is terrible. But yes, if it's a 920m then it would be far superior.

Blak op blob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008

welshmousepk

Distinguished
less cores will likely be a bigger issue for SLI than alower clock. since the system can essentially asign a core to manage each GPU. its not quite that simple, but it does work out that way.

id go for the quad personally, it will be a little more futureproofed, better at ultitasking. and it will have the edge in threaded apps. and since more and mroe games are begning to use more than 2 cores, it will end up having better gameing performance too.

and like i said, overclock it!

lol, alot of people dont like to OC laptops, but i liek it more so than with a desktop. theres a great Program called 'SetFSB', i used it alot a while back. if you can gett your clockgen it will allow you to change FSB on the fly to change CPU frequency. heat is a bigger issue that in a desktop, but its still possible to get very good OCs.

all said though, if you dont plan on unning the latest games or any heavily threaded apps, the dual core will do fine.