Is NVIDIA doomed?

Actually I think they are up sh!t creek without a paddle at present .. .as the GT300 isn't looking good ... well according to Charlie.

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/10/06/nvidia-kills-gtx285-gtx275-gtx260-abandons-mid-and-high-end-market/

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/10/11/nvida-launches-uncompetitive-g210-and-gt220/

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/10/01/nvidia-fakes-fermi-boards-gtc/

Upendra09

Distinguished
again parodied, and badtrip was saying that i posted immature stuff

so back to my idea

Nvidia aren't doomed, only the mainstream gfx but will stay alive on the high end section of gfx card

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
What nVidia does do well is SLI, the scaling is so much better (from benchmarks I've seen) than CrossFire.

For low end, I was amazed at what I got from my little 9400GT. I bought it because it was the cheapest available at the time, and it certainly out-performed my expectations of a cheap card! (Until I forgot to plug the fan in).

But when I spent some money, I went straight over to the ATi camp.

Edit: what pisses me off though, is how much power a lot of these cards use at idle. My 9550 ran Windows Aero fine, and it had a baby heatsink and the fan had died, so it was passively cooled by a piece of metal with almost no fins on it (fins are so small I'd call them grooves). I was glad to see the 58x0's to drop their idle power, its totally unnessecary, and while it seems stupid, if the GT300 has really low (like better than 58x0 series) idle usage, I will actually get that.

randomizer

Champion
NVIDIA have shown games the window. 2017 is the year of the ExaScale Machine!

33262f78-f469-45e8-b825-ad09f9395221.jpg

http://en.hardspell.com/doc/enshowcont.asp?id=7250

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

I was talking about the performance. From my guesstimates a 5870 sells for 200$/unit profit. I know that nVidia can kiss ### and get profit even from stone but sometimes these things just get ridiculous.

I can only assume that they are going to be running CUDA based apps so the 5870 and Cypress won't be much use. And I also have my doubts on your 200$ profit per unit guesstimate.

Not doomed no, its just that for this round the other team turned out to be a bit good so they have taken their ball back home for tea and wont be coming out after [:mousemonkey:5]

Im sure we will see them back and compedative but not for a couple of quarters or so.

Mactronix

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Should be a headline. - ATI 5850 -70; The Day NVIDIA died.
LOL
Since apparently i hear that NVIDIA have left the gamer market, stabbing people in the back who were thinking they were going to buy an NVIDIA card next (me also) waiting for new GT 300 series thinking they're going to compete with ATI lol. I wanted an NVIDIA card because i want to check out Nvidia's drivers, trying something new other than ATI. Although ATI actually may appear better for me because their drivers are more understandable. Putting aa on in NVIDIA control panel and putting the settings on override don't seem to be effecting my game. ATI control panel i remember was soo much easier to use and turning aa on did effect my game. i have a GTS 250. I see that NVIDIA do waste the money quite a bit more than ATI. I bought a GTS 250 for the same price i could have got an ATI 4870 i found out later. lol. How do you people think they did with nforce? For the AMD side? They have the nforce 780a don't they looks good for AMD?

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009

Does that mean it's looking likely that ATI will be our only gaming graphics company? Has nforce died as well or did nvidia stop making boards along time ago. is this the whole company that's going downhill or have they just left the gaming market and going for something else? They can't leave hardware for ever? Oh yeah, but then what's the point in making nforce boards if there are no new appealing cards to sell lol. Does anyone know if any other company will step in and compete with ATI? I don't think it will be likely if NVIDIA loses out because no one has experience with making good grapihcs other than ATI and Nvidia. All that has to happen is for someone to buy the company or to massively invest in NVIDIA's redevelopment of their new cards. So that first link you sent, is it actually saying that NVIDIA were actually planning to make another gaming card? but the tests failed? Maybe just bad luck, or ATI have been making very clever calculated decissions, and have caught NVIDIA's weakpoint. Better to stay under and apeal to more people, the mainstream market. And then let NVIDIA eventually die then ATI can go all out extreme, since they probably have the potential anyway to make more powerful graphic cards than nvidia.