Sign in with
Your question

Is NVIDIA doomed?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b à CPUs
October 27, 2009 11:08:49 AM

If you have been to CPUs and Components in the last month, you knew this would come eventually.

/Begin parody thread #3

More about : nvidia doomed

a c 171 Î Nvidia
a b à CPUs
October 27, 2009 11:43:19 AM

Sony are going to take over and as they have the highest moral and ethical standard known this will be the best thing to happen to the world of computers since the first beta of Vista. :) 
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a b à CPUs
October 27, 2009 11:44:31 AM

thats charlie for you. have he ever said anything like "wow nvidia has something awesome" ?
a b à CPUs
October 27, 2009 11:52:15 AM

He never would.
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a b à CPUs
October 27, 2009 11:53:34 AM

He will if someone ups his medication.
October 27, 2009 12:08:32 PM

Mousemonkey said:
He will if someone ups his medication.

The same goes for Fuad and his ATI relation :D 
October 27, 2009 12:19:26 PM

Cant wait for the GTXSonyBBQFERMI 480!!
Itll run on rootkit drivers too!!
October 27, 2009 12:27:10 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Cant wait for the GTXSonyBBQFERMI 480!!
Itll run on rootkit drivers too!!

And it will need its own nuclear power plant.
a b à CPUs
October 27, 2009 6:12:15 PM

nVidia is up the pooper.
Not doomed, but walking funny after the 5800 series.
a b à CPUs
October 27, 2009 7:14:48 PM

again parodied, and badtrip was saying that i posted immature stuff

so back to my idea

Nvidia aren't doomed, only the mainstream gfx but will stay alive on the high end section of gfx card
October 27, 2009 7:55:15 PM

And low end, as thats their money maker.
And down the road, they may make 1 iterations, as theyve said, 1 for gfx, 1 for gpgpu
a b à CPUs
October 27, 2009 8:25:33 PM

What nVidia does do well is SLI, the scaling is so much better (from benchmarks I've seen) than CrossFire.

For low end, I was amazed at what I got from my little 9400GT. I bought it because it was the cheapest available at the time, and it certainly out-performed my expectations of a cheap card! (Until I forgot to plug the fan in).

But when I spent some money, I went straight over to the ATi camp.

Edit: what pisses me off though, is how much power a lot of these cards use at idle. My 9550 ran Windows Aero fine, and it had a baby heatsink and the fan had died, so it was passively cooled by a piece of metal with almost no fins on it (fins are so small I'd call them grooves). I was glad to see the 58x0's to drop their idle power, its totally unnessecary, and while it seems stupid, if the GT300 has really low (like better than 58x0 series) idle usage, I will actually get that.
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2009 8:24:00 AM

hallowed_dragon said:
Wow, 1.1 TFlops. Isn't the 5870 alone ...nvm.

How much does a 5870 sell for and what's the profit margin per unit? ...nvm.
a b Î Nvidia
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2009 8:30:20 AM

some people out there wondering why asus pick nvidia tesla instead of superior cypress :pt1cable: 
October 29, 2009 8:32:31 AM

Mousemonkey said:
How much does a 5870 sell for and what's the profit margin per unit? ...nvm.

I was talking about the performance. From my guesstimates a 5870 sells for 200$/unit profit. I know that nVidia can kiss ### and get profit even from stone but sometimes these things just get ridiculous.
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2009 8:33:00 AM

renz496 said:
some people out there wondering why asus pick nvidia tesla instead of superior cypress :pt1cable: 

Homeboy advantage? [:mousemonkey]
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2009 8:40:52 AM

hallowed_dragon said:
I was talking about the performance. From my guesstimates a 5870 sells for 200$/unit profit. I know that nVidia can kiss ### and get profit even from stone but sometimes these things just get ridiculous.

I can only assume that they are going to be running CUDA based apps so the 5870 and Cypress won't be much use. And I also have my doubts on your 200$ profit per unit guesstimate.
a b Î Nvidia
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2009 8:41:26 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Homeboy advantage? [:mousemonkey]

now that you mentioned it, i think it make sense :D 
a b Î Nvidia
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2009 8:50:01 AM

Not doomed no, its just that for this round the other team turned out to be a bit good so they have taken their ball back home for tea and wont be coming out after [:mousemonkey:5]

Im sure we will see them back and compedative but not for a couple of quarters or so.

Mactronix
October 29, 2009 10:07:53 AM

Should be a headline. - ATI 5850 -70; The Day NVIDIA died.
LOL
Since apparently i hear that NVIDIA have left the gamer market, stabbing people in the back who were thinking they were going to buy an NVIDIA card next (me also) waiting for new GT 300 series thinking they're going to compete with ATI lol. I wanted an NVIDIA card because i want to check out Nvidia's drivers, trying something new other than ATI. Although ATI actually may appear better for me because their drivers are more understandable. Putting aa on in NVIDIA control panel and putting the settings on override don't seem to be effecting my game. ATI control panel i remember was soo much easier to use and turning aa on did effect my game. i have a GTS 250. I see that NVIDIA do waste the money quite a bit more than ATI. I bought a GTS 250 for the same price i could have got an ATI 4870 i found out later. lol. How do you people think they did with nforce? For the AMD side? They have the nforce 780a don't they looks good for AMD?
October 29, 2009 10:24:39 AM

Reynod said:
Actually I think they are up sh!t creek without a paddle at present .. .as the GT300 isn't looking good ... well according to Charlie.

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/10/06/nvidia-kills-gtx...

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/10/11/nvida-launches-u...

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/10/01/nvidia-fakes-fer...

Does that mean it's looking likely that ATI will be our only gaming graphics company? Has nforce died as well or did nvidia stop making boards along time ago. is this the whole company that's going downhill or have they just left the gaming market and going for something else? They can't leave hardware for ever? Oh yeah, but then what's the point in making nforce boards if there are no new appealing cards to sell lol. Does anyone know if any other company will step in and compete with ATI? I don't think it will be likely if NVIDIA loses out because no one has experience with making good grapihcs other than ATI and Nvidia. All that has to happen is for someone to buy the company or to massively invest in NVIDIA's redevelopment of their new cards. So that first link you sent, is it actually saying that NVIDIA were actually planning to make another gaming card? but the tests failed? Maybe just bad luck, or ATI have been making very clever calculated decissions, and have caught NVIDIA's weakpoint. Better to stay under and apeal to more people, the mainstream market. And then let NVIDIA eventually die then ATI can go all out extreme, since they probably have the potential anyway to make more powerful graphic cards than nvidia.
October 29, 2009 10:28:59 AM

nVidia is DOOMED I tell ya, DOOOOOMED !!!
October 29, 2009 10:41:01 AM

HAHAHA. nice one.
maybe when NVIDIA does permanently cut off. We can see ATI improving their crossfire x scaling performance and driver performance as well. Since they should be recieving more money. But then lets hope they don't put prices up riduculously high. They realy really shouldn't because they'd have no competetion ultimately, they'd still greatly profit without having to raise prices. Old NVIDIA cards will completely utterly die out in time.
Possibly could AMD processors benefit from this too? Architectural advancements because of more funding, could lead to Intel being undercut as well. That's in the very long run though. I wonder if amd and ati share their profits, which means amd can switch at anytime investing more in graphics or processing.
a b Î Nvidia
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2009 10:53:13 AM

you're forgetting something here. AMD/ATI = business company. when there are no competitor the price will surely go up plus the innovation progress will slowing down. they introduce eyefinity to compete with nvidia. and the extra money they got will surely going into their pocket as a bonus :pt1cable: 
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2009 10:56:02 AM

Well rumours are that price are going up by $20 on the 5800 cards.
a b Î Nvidia
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2009 11:00:21 AM

If ATI was smart, they wouldn't become like nVidia did.

When nVidia realized they had the top-dawg card (GTX260, 8800ULTRA), they made sure we paid a huge price-premium for it. Did ATI ever do that? All they did was give aggressive prices at huge performance, sometimes beating nVidia.

Now if ATI has the highest card, will they make sure we pay the premium for it? Good news it, it won't happen until late '010, or until their HD6k series comes out. We have the prices for our current cards, and I daren't think they'll change those; especially with nVidia still hiding in the shadows like cowardly worms.

If ATI does take a leaf out of nVid's book, and make us pay huge sums for their cards simply because they have the best, they will still get sales. Simply because they have the best. However, when (if?) someone comes to knock them down, no one will want to buy from them, due to their insanely priced cards.

Not to mention raising the prices will cause distrust among the loyal ATI people. What happened to the once budget-performance company?

October 29, 2009 11:03:25 AM

that's insignificant. i thought they were going to do something stupid like add another 200 pounds onto their cards lol. £400 for 5850 lol. People are talking about nvidia gtx 395. I don't think it will come out, by the time they're just about done with it, they've made an all out gamble they find themselves in debt lol or bust. Just as long as ATI don't do anything stupid like add too much to the price tag then there should be hopefully no worries with NVIDIA going downhill. but i don't dislike nvidia and am quite unhappy how they've just left like that lol.
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2009 11:08:04 AM

$20 is not insignificant. I don't understand consumers these days, they want cheap but don't complain when prices go up. The guys on XS were largely in favour or indifferent as well. Less is better, more is not.
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2009 11:08:31 AM

Nvidia is not abandoning the gaming sector, that is absolutely ridiculous. Its preposterous to say that Nvidia would just hand over the whole GPU market to Ati when they have been leading it for the past decade.
a b Î Nvidia
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2009 11:11:24 AM

bige420 said:
Nvidia is not abandoning the gaming sector, that is absolutely ridiculous. Its preposterous to say that Nvidia would just hand over the whole GPU market to Ati when they have been leading it for the past decade.

ATI nearly took over with hteir 4XXX series, and their HD5k is even better.
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2009 11:11:32 AM

Abandon? Probably not. Shift focus away from? Absolutely.
a b Î Nvidia
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2009 11:12:48 AM

but some people care about that even as low as $10. from my point of view nvidia will not going anywhere soon. they try to expand their business right now with their GPGPU but in doing so they might sacrifice the gamimg part :D 
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2009 11:17:42 AM

What else are they going to focus on? Graphics are their bread and butter.
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2009 11:22:42 AM

Have you been out of the loop? It's all HPC for NVIDIA now.
October 29, 2009 11:23:49 AM

i know what you mean. And also the pricing thing. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. If nvidia doesn't come out with anything to compete with ati by the start of next year. i'll assume that it has left gaming for good. Or that it's waiting to reawaken again. In spring or summer next year lol.
October 29, 2009 11:24:19 AM

what's hpc? htpc?
a b Î Nvidia
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2009 11:26:46 AM

don't worry. ati can't sit and relax yet. the new era for S3 and matrox has come :lol: 
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2009 11:30:39 AM

High-performance computing (scientific apps, etc).
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2009 11:35:33 AM

I know Nvidia is trying to hype up this "GPGPU" that can take some load off the CPU by processing data that would normally be going to the CPU on the GPU. But I seriously doubt this is going to cut into graphics processing power.
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2009 11:39:21 AM

It may if you increase double-precision FP performance (for HPC) at the cost of single-precision (for everything else). But it's still all guesswork until we see data.
October 29, 2009 11:39:40 AM

randomizer said:
$20 is not insignificant. I don't understand consumers these days, they want cheap but don't complain when prices go up. The guys on XS were largely in favour or indifferent as well. Less is better, more is not.

Lol. 20$ is about equal with going to the cinema and buying popcorn :D  with your girlfriend.
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2009 11:42:07 AM

Why not email them and tell them to put it up by $40 because that's only 2 trips to the cinema (or one trip plus 30 seconds of lending your credit card to your girlfriend).
October 29, 2009 11:45:16 AM

randomizer said:
Why not email them and tell them to put it up by $40 because that's only 2 trips to the cinema (or one trip plus 30 seconds of lending your credit card to your girlfriend).

Or one trip plus 30 seconds of lending your credit card to your girlfriend?

Hmm, better say 10 sec of your girlfriend with your credit card in a shoe store :lol:  :lol: 
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2009 11:51:08 AM

Very true :) 
a b Î Nvidia
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2009 11:59:28 AM

No price rise or cut is insignificant it all shows a trend to how the market is going. ATI are a company same as Nvidia is so i fully expect them to milk the market for whatever it will stomach. If prices do go up and people still buy the cards then next month it will go up again etc.... untill people stop buying at which point they will drop it about 20% of the total price hike, as consumers tend to have as a whole a very bad memory people will be going "Wow look at the deal on that" and start buying again.
With Nvidia having its loyal fan base i would have thought that ATI would have gone for the throat a bit more and once finding there was to be no competition this round drop the price. Just for a while. There can be no doubt that they could if they wanted to and in doing so could win over some market share. With price rises sure they are making money but expanding the client base is also important in business. I realise that as long as the bean counters are in control that type of thinking wont get a look in but there it is.

Mactronix

October 29, 2009 12:00:30 PM

Adding 20$ to a 200+$ card isnt as bad as coming in with a 650$ card, and being cool by not raising prices.
We will see. If its ATI, or the sellers themselves, because if theyve figured out that TSMC is having production problems, they can surely play off of that.
If the price goes up, I want to know just whos raised them.
This could be a self propelling prophesy, conjured up by the retailers, who more or less conjured up the shortages rumors to begin with, as they were the ones "complaining".
!