Intel Q8200 quad core or Amd Phenom 2 550 black

mortimerlopez

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
Hi guys,

Which do you think is a better buy at pretty much the same price, around $140 out the door with cpu and motherboard?

The intel comes with a biostar motherboard that supports ddr2 and 3

The Amd comes with an asus motherboard that I think only supports ddr2 but you are able to unlock the other two cores of the 550.

I have heard that the Q8200 is not that great for gaming or oc.

Bottom line which one am I better off with, its between these 2 only, I'm leaning towards the intel but the Amd sounds like it might have an advantage.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
personally, i would advice on the phenom.

LGA775 is a dead platform, and it would really cut away upgrade potential to go that route.

i have a 550 myself, its very good. obviously, in threaded tasks it will be out performed, but as far as dual-threaded tasks go, its one of the best procs you can get.

what badtrip said is true. its possible to unlock to a quad (as i did) and the sucess rate is good. but its should only be a bonus, dont buy it soley on the basis of unlocking.

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
The phenom ll 550 is the better choice here, it is faster in single and dual threaded apps and programs and gives a much better upgrade path should you ever want a new cpu (the upcoming six core amd chip is going to be am3 as well) the lga 775 is a dead platform and the 8200 was never a good quad to begin with go with the phenom ll or wait a week for the core i 3 to come out

welshmousepk

Distinguished
it depends on what OP has in mind for the system.

if he is a gamer, i would recomend the 550 every time. the higher clock and L3 cache gives it a major advantage.

if however he just want a general useage system, then a 620 would be a brilliant choice.

jackharvest

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Thank you thank you thank you. I currently own the q8200 Quad-Core, and it's overclocking abilities are almost none. I'm not a hard-core gamer, but feel the need to get around quick on the computer, usually doing 1 or 2 things at a time. And let's face it, these other 2 cores are doing nothing for me.

Thanks. I'll be purchasing the 550 when my ebay auction kills off my quad core processor. XD