keithmc5000

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
I had planned on buying the i7 bundle through tigerdirect, i7 920 w/ intel dx58so motherboard, but i've heard some mixed reviews on the intel board. should I go a different route on the board? gonna be using my rig for gaming/home theater, u know fun stuff. since its my first build i'd like it to go as smooth as possible. gonna go with 1 XFX HD577AZNFC Radeon HD 5770 Video Card for now but i'd like to crossfire a second in the future. i like this card for the price and also the hdmi outs since im thinking on hooking it right up to the 47" flatscreen. any suggestions on a motherboard compatible for what i am trying to do?

THANKS

galta

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
What is weird about this mobo is its memory banks: instead of having 6 slots like regular ones, it has only 5, so if you run more than 3 sticks you can't use triple channel, but dual channel instead.
Based on you gpu choice, however, I believe you're not interested in maximum performance so, yes, this is a good mobo.

Do not buy an Intel board under any circumstances. They are notorious for compatibility issues with high-performance components.

If you're planning on using it to build a maximum-performance machine, there's a good chance you'll run into something where an Intel board gives you a headache.

If you're planning on building anything less than an absolute maximum-performance machine, you're much better off going with an AMD quad core setup for half the price.

For a high-performance machine, you're much better off going with ASUS or Gigabyte motherboards (though basically anything other than Intel or ECS/Elitegroup should be workable).