Ocz vertez 3 slow performance

watersnoopy

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
After reading alot review and comments about it performance, I bought OCZ Vertex 3 last week while onsale at TigerDirect. OCZ 120GB.

I upgrade the firmware to 2.11, installed fresh Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Installation went breeze, in less than 15 minutes. Very happy so far. However, I tested it with CrystalDiskMark. On 50MB, I got READ=271MB/s and WRITE=262MB/s. On 100MB size, I got READ = 376 MB/s and WRITE= 240 MB/s. This is not even close to the factory or marketing specs.

I am getting slow performance. My system:
MOBO = ASUS RAMPAGE III Formula
BIOS = 0505
CPU= Intel i7 CPU 950, @3.07
RAM = 12GB RAM GSKILL F3-12800 Triple Channel.

I tried either SATA port with 6GBs connection with AHCI setting on BIOS running the test as it is the only disk with Windows running and test it as secondary drive with Western Digital Black Caviar running Windows 7 Pro, very similar result. DID NOT PASS 400 MB/s mark. I read that it is the Marvell® 9128 PCIe SATA 6Gb/s controller problem. How do we resolve this problem?

Thank you.

groberts101

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

that is correct since the Marvell 9128 only utilizes an internal PCI-E x1 speed. 400/250 is all you get.

only thing to do without spending money is to run the V3 off the Intel(which is actually better than the Marvell despite its 100MB/s faster read speeds(writes and small random performance is stronger on the Intel ICH10R. Latency is always a bit snappier and added caching just adds to the Intel chipsets benefit's even more for the user.

or.. update the system to run a native 6G chipset(P67/AMD SB850/950 speeds).

or.. buy a decent 6G raidcard for about $200-300.

watersnoopy

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
How do I setup to run off the Intel? I simply plug the SATA cable to the motherboard SATA connector which mark as SATA 6G.

On AS SSD Benchmark, Seq test result for READ=377.9 WRITE=157.84MB. Have you tried run V3 on Intel and what is your benchmark result?

"update to the system to run native 6G chipset" you mean buy different motherboard? Asus RAMPAGE Formula does not use native 6G chipset?

Thanks in advance

Hi,
Do this:

1) Read your motherboard manual to figure out which groups of SATA connectors on your motherboard correspond to what chipset.

2) Turn off your PC and open up the case.

3) Remove all SATA connections.

4) Plug ONLY your new SSD (with Windows) into the first grouping of SATA connectors then benchmark it.

5) repeat for any remaining groups

Intel is probably your best bet, but I can't be certain. They really SHOULD give more specifications in the SATA section of the motherboard manual. I know my Marvell connection was much slower than my Intel for RAID.

watersnoopy

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
I got it. I realized the port 0,1 on the gray color is controlled by Marvel, which is the 6G SATA. I plugged in to the Intel Controller port (it has 6 port). Enable AHCI on BIOS

Ran HDMark and AS SSD test and the test result is actually worse than the Marvel Controller. The read is only 50MB/s faster but the write is almost 100 MB/s slower.

So, I guess there is no way to get the speed what all this testing website claim to do?