Computer runs fine but power light continously blinks

The_Bman

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I recently noticed that the blue power LED light on my case blinks about every 2 seconds while the computer is on and seemingly running just fine. I'm not sure exactly how long it has been since this started, but I'm guessing a week or two at most. I have powered off and rebooted recently, but the problem remains.

I am running Windows 7 64-bit with a Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 motherboard, Intel i5-750 CPU and a Corsair CMPSU-400CX PSU in a Cooler Master Centurion RC-534-SKN2-GP case. I leave the computer on 24x7 witth Sleep kicking in after 2 hrs of inactivity.

Right now this is just an annoying quirk and I've not noticed any other issues. I have read some other posts mentioning this behavior could indicate a PSU problem, but cannot confirm.

Any suggestions on diagnosing and correcting this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The_Bman

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Pretty steadily blinking, but much more randomly or intermittently than the power LED. The power LED is blinking like clockwork, roughly every 2 seconds.

I would have said the hard drive LED is working perfectly fine. However, I never paid that much attention to it (since it's alot less noticeable) to know for sure if it's recent behavior is different than normal.

The_Bman

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
No system crashes recently. However, since I built this computer last October, it will periodically bluescreen or freeze a few minutes after I wake it up from Sleep mode. This happens a few times a month. The bluescreen message and other diagnostics have been very generic and I gave up trying to pinpoint the source. It only happens intermittently after coming out of sleep so it has only been a nuisance not a serious issue in my mind. The computer always reboots fine back in Windows like nothing happened. That issue has not occurred in the last 10 days.

I did just shut down and check the power cable. Felt secure. I unplugged and reseated it anyway, then rebooted. The blinking remains.

TRENDING THREADS