Monitor and GPU Questions/Upgrades

semanthe

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
Here's a little about my current situation:

I have a Q6600 OC'd to 3.2Ghz, 4 GB DDR2-1066 (clocked at 800 DDR2 to keep from overheating), ATI 4890 1GB GPU, GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard, 750W Corsair PSU, Acer AL2016WBbd Black 20" 5ms 1680x1050 res, and Vista 64bit.

I'm wanting to run at a higher res (which would mean getting a better monitor) and I'm definitely upgrading to Windows 7. I'm also thinking about adding a second HD 4890 1GB card to help power the new higher resolution. Couple questions...

How much of a difference will I notice if go up to 1920x1200 res? Would it be smart to get a second GPU to help support this higher res? And which monitors and sizes are considered high quality at this res and name some price ranges?

I've been looking around and it seems that for $170-$300 there are some good monitors, but I'm no expert. Thanks for any help you all can give!

TheViper

Distinguished
The resolution difference will easily be noticeable with regards to aliasing being naturally smoother and other details being crisper.

You won't need a second GPU for the time being as the HD 4890 runs at that rest pretty nicely.

Samsung makes some of the best monitors. NEC is also quite nice. 24" will be about the screen size you're looking for.

semanthe

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
Ok. So in your opinion is it worth getting the new monitor for the better picture? And is it worth it at this time to, instead of getting a second HD 4890, sell my GPU on ebay and put that money towards a HD 5870 for DX11?

TheViper

Distinguished
You could do that or sell your current monitor for money towards the new one...which ever way you'd like to go. And then work towards getting the other component later.

I'd suggest the monitor first as it will have a more noticeable affect on your user experience (from games to regular use) than you'll notice going from the HD 4890 to the HD 5780 at your current resolution and games catalog.

semanthe

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
One last question...

Is it a better choice to buy a second 4890 or a single 5780? I know performance-wise the two 4890's will win, but I'm also trying to keep in mind DX11 and being a little more futureproof. I hesitate to buy the first DX11 cards since the technology is new, but maybe it would still be a better idea than two 4890s...although crossfire with 2 4890s would put out some awesome performance.

semanthe

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
Is hanns-g a reputable company as compared to say Acer and Samsung? I've never owned any of their products.

I guess I should hit up Best Buy and check out the differences in resolution in person...and the differences in sizes. I have a 20" and going to a 24" sounds like not much difference, but I'm sure it is when you actually get it in the house and look at the two side by side.