• Do It Yourself
  • Rampage
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 7, 2010 3:19:53 AM

Hello,

I'm really new at DIY PC building. I helped a friend do a build with Asus Rampage 2 extreme and i7 930. Everything went great. Today I tried to build my own identical setup, Rampage 2 and i7 930. Not so good.....50% of the time when i power up, it will not post and the LCD poster reads LOCKED or a countdown timer shows seconds. The other 50% of the time the PC will post (I assume thats what it's called). WHen I go into BIOS setup everything is good for about 5 minutes then the PC will freeze up. I never got as far to load an OS and the only thing I changed in the bios was to adjust a couple fan speeds. I tried putting in the RAM from my friends PC and the same thing happens. Anyhow my gut feeling tells me it's a defective motherboard. The only other thing I could thing would be the CPU. Should I change the MOBO at the store first before I suspect the CPU. THanks a bunch if anyone wants to help a newby.

-Eric

More about : rampage extreme defected

a b V Motherboard
April 8, 2010 2:42:38 AM

If it isn't too hard, go ahead and try the board. It is rare for the CPUs to be bad (they are hard to damage, except by dogs I hear).

Also, remove the CPU and check the "socket" pins to be sure none are bent. See the section in this sticky about "Missing Memory" (bent pins can also cause instability):

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/272698-30-gigabyte-gu...
August 30, 2010 2:41:03 AM

It may sound strange, but my experience has always been better from notable online distros like Newegg or one of many others I'm sure techies hear will share with you. These days, you're going to find way too many walk-in stores selling used/returned merchandise as new. They'll be shrink-wrapped and have the appearance of new, but as they say, "Buyer beware".
!