H100 in a Cosmos II - Who designed this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

k7sw

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
I'm assembling my brand new rig and I'm real excited but I've ran into a problem and don't want to screw anything up.

I've got a Cosmos II case and I'm installing an ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe in it.
I planned to put the H100 in the top of the case. The top is set up to take 3x120mm fans. There is one installed in the rearmost slot and the h100 would take up the other two but there are 2 bent up notches taken out of the case at the end of the row of fan spaces (just big enough to slide the edge of a case fan into) but I can't fit the h100 in with the fans set in a push configuration.

Alternatively I could attempt to install it on the door. That would be a huge pain any time I wanted to open the case. I would have to crack it open, undo 8 screws, then open the door. Putting the door on would be even harder.

The obvious solution is to move the existing fan to the other side and fit the h100 in the rearmost 2 slots. But the ATX connector on the motherboard is all the way up at the top and I won't be able to have the h100 there with the connector plugged in.

TLDR:
H100 won't fit in the case with a push configuration, should I:
A) Set it up with a pull
B) Put the h100 outside the case (there's a dust cover over that part) and keep the push setup
C) Deal with taking it on and off to be able to open the case
D) shove everything in the case and throw it out the window

Thanks.

Solution

k7sw

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Pictures of the offending case:

The three slots for fans at the top, note the ATX connector in light blue on the left.

DSC_0124.JPG

Close-up of the tabs

DSC_0123.JPG

EDIT: Fixed pictures, apparently

psychodegu

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Install the radiator above the scaffolding, and put fans below the scaffolding. from the bottom up; tabs, fans, scaffolding, radiator, fans (if they fit). wouldn't that work? you could also cut out the tabs if that would fix your problem.

G

The answer is...

E) return the case & replace it with CM HAF X if you're really looking for large size (full tower) PC case.

The inside of Cosmos II is pure waste if you're talking of it's huge size. Somehow the CM people who put this case in the drawing board failed to realize that those people that will buy this particular case will use the case for internal liquid cooling set up. Adding liquid cooling grommets doesn't make any sense hence the case is so huge putting an external liquid cooling set up on it sounds crazy. I'm surprise that you're using this case for hybrid liquid cooling as you don't really need this big of a case to cool your components. You cannot put even a slim radiator at the top of the case on a push & pull configuration.

G

Or Mountain Moods "Dream Machine" (same price as Cosmos II & way cooler)...

MPCDREAM.jpg

e56imfg

Distinguished
Caselabs is LEAGUES above MM. Mountain Mods just drills holes into a metal box and call it a "enthusiast case". Caselabs actually engineers their cases so that it's not a box with holes and they have a huge list of customizable options.

G

The case was reviewed & got the top award by Maximum PC last 2010. There's also a Black Edition of the case.

MPC0910cover.jpg

k7sw

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

I can't put the radiator above the scaffolding, the tubes are in the way. I don't think they want to bend to much. I'm gonna do a pull setup on the top for now. I'll be looking into replacing this case though.

I'm really disappointed with this case. Their manufacturing thresholds are ***. The motherboard mounting holes were poorly spaced. The door has holes to screw a fan on that are covered by the grid. And you would have to unplug the fans to open the door every time even if you did manage to screw some fans on.

There's some great case advice here, thanks a lot. I'm planning on getting a second 590 and upgrading to 2011 when IB-E comes out. The SLI 590s were the main reason I went with the big case. (and because I have more money than knowledge) The case looks cool but it's a big (haha) hassle so far.

e56imfg

Distinguished
Don't SLI 590s. New GPUs are coming out right now and they are a pain to SLI. Even a Crossfire set up of 7970s will do the job.

Do you think you got a faulty Cosmos 2? I've seen people put H100s with no problem.

k7sw

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

Maybe, I found the manual online and they instruct to either put the H100 in the bottom (won't reach) or to put it on top in a pull configuration with the fans above the scaffolding.

Before I found the manual I did a pull with the whole setup inside the case but closer to the front. I'll probably get better airflow if I move it one slot back, it's partly obstructed by the control panel so it might not get full flow where it's at.

I've got an unrelated question if anyone can help me out though. What are all the black unlabeled cables coming out of the fan controller? Are they for LED fans?

psychodegu

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011

Yeah, on the way through reading this I forgot you were using the h100 and not custom water cooling, I feel like this case is better if use to completely water cool you computer or completely air cool it. Even then you have to mod the case to really get the most out of an internal radiator cooling system.

I think in a way you got caught up in the mass love and praise coming from some of the case reviewers out there. This case isn't for every one, and I think people using a closed water loop like the H100 are one of them.

Solution
G

You don't need an extremely big case in the SLI 590s. You only need (2) 590s to max it to quad SLI as the video card is a dual GPU video card (you can't add more). If you like big cases with extreme performance & money to spare then go with (4) 580s. That's usually the preferred way of maxing things out by extreme overclockers as 580 has higher clock speed than the GPU in the 590. 590 is essentially a 580 with (2) same 580 GPUs at lower clock speed.

But if you're to ask me, I rather go with the SLI 590s hence you can save some bucks (not to mention the electric bills). You don't really need (4) SLI 580s if you only do gaming. Most of those people using this particular quad SLI set up are those people who likes to get to the top of the benchmark chart.

G

This is what I said. The case this big damands full liquid cooling solution. Not a hybrid liquid cooling solution.

G

Yes, in few months I think (around April I believed) this new GPUs will start coming. I didn't see any Gen 3 though but what I read is that they're fast.

k7sw

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

Well then damnit I'll just have to start doing my research on building a full liquid cooling solution. Was looking for something to do with my mini-fridge from college.

For now I'll wait it out and see what's coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.