Second Samsung HDD failed

peter379

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
I bought my first samsung HDD with my new build about 2 months ago. Everything was working smoothly untill about 2 weeks ago when Windows gave me the failing harddrive message. I downloaded seatools and my HDD failed all the tests I tried. I RMA'd the drive back to Samsung after hours of techsupport because the Samsung HDD103SJ isn't listed on their web site. I got it back yesterday

I installed it and installed the OS and all the drivers again, Then I restored the files on my backup drive on the new HDD. I thought I would let it run overnight, redownload some software, break it in, but it turns out sometime during the night, I got the windows HDD failing message again. :fou:

I did the SMART test and the Generic test but the HDD failed both again. I swapped SATA cords and ports with still no luck.

Should I pay 15 bucks and 2 weeks to RMA again? Am I doing something wrong? is it just plain unlucky? Just buy a new one from WD or Seagate? please help

Thanks

jsphdickens

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
From reading the comments on Newegg, it sounds like some of the people had a similar problem but were able to fix it by changing a setting in their BIOS. They don't say exactly what setting, but maybe you can play around with the ones that are hard drive related and fix the issue. Maybe some obscure feature of your motherboard isn't supported by the drive and is causing a problem.

peter379

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Thank you for replying, I have an AM3+ Asus Sabertooth motherboard for the record.

I will read the reviews on newegg also to see if I can find something. I guess it is pretty unlikely for them both to fail after a short amount of use and not DOA. Another thing I forgot to mention. On this second HDD, before it failed. It was extremely slow, It was very laggy scrolling, opening folders, starting applications. Also took extreme amounts of time for somethings, like a matter of 30 seconds to open my documents. Other times though it would open things normal speed.

About after the third windows error message of the drive failing. I no longer could get it to open any folders. So I shut it down and havnt tried it since.

garage1217

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Well considering 2 hard drives have been killed off in a VERY short period of time which is not common... ever consider you may have a bad power supply or other defective item killing them off? Just a thought.

peter379

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Well I switched SATA cords and ports but I didnot switch powersupply cords or ports Because my CD drive and HDD are using the same power cord, and my CD drive works great. I have a Corsair 750W HX