Sign in with
Your question

One core is slacking-

Last response: in CPUs
January 2, 2010 6:48:46 AM

Hey guys, I've got a Dual Core Pentium E5200, and recently one of the core is not working as in slacking off. I've viewed in the task manager, and only one core is doing all the work while the other one is just there not doing any processing.

Well I use to fix these by reinstalling the Windows, but my CD got broke and finding another solution for these. Can someone help me?

More about : core slacking

a b à CPUs
January 2, 2010 6:57:14 AM

severe_009 said:
Hey guys, I've got a Dual Core Pentium E5200, and recently one of the core is not working as in slacking off. I've viewed in the task manager, and only one core is doing all the work while the other one is just there not doing any processing.

Well I use to fix these by reinstalling the Windows, but my CD got broke and finding another solution for these. Can someone help me?

Run Prime95 and check if they are both at 100% usage.

You still need to install OS in order to do this....
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2010 6:57:31 AM

what programs are you running when you test this?

not all programs run on more than one core.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2010 6:58:01 AM

Only one core is working because you're only using programs that use a single thread. Try Prime95 and I bet that both cores will happily ramp up to 100%.
m
l
January 2, 2010 7:03:46 AM

No, every program and application I use, only one core is doing the job, the other core is not working, it just fluctuates, and when booting up it takes so very long. And what's Prime95 is that an application? I'll try that.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2010 7:07:08 AM

severe_009 said:
No, every program and application I use, only one core is doing the job, the other core is not working, it just fluctuates, and when booting up it takes so very long. And what's Prime95 is that an application? I'll try that.

Download here: http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2010 7:07:55 AM

Prime95 is a program that basically does a LOT of work across all CPU cores.

BTW, you would THINK that Windows would be smart enough to put certain programs on the second core, regardless of what type of support they have for threading/multi-core...
m
l
January 2, 2010 7:14:31 AM

Woot! Now their both working again! I dunno maybe that program Prime95 did something, I'll post back when there's still a problem, well I'm playing The Witcher, that's what i use as a reference..
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2010 7:16:08 AM

gamerk316 said:
Prime95 is a program that basically does a LOT of work across all CPU cores.

BTW, you would THINK that Windows would be smart enough to put certain programs on the second core, regardless of what type of support they have for threading/multi-core...

Windows 7 would. That's why a lot of peoples say that it is designed especially for the Turbo Mode of LGA1156 platform CPUs.
m
l
January 2, 2010 7:19:58 AM

It's the same, it just fluctuated, one core is working all the way to the top while the other one sits there... I hardly pass the 60% CPU usage...
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2010 7:28:39 AM

is that WHILE prime95mis running?

you dont seem to understanding what we're telling you. if you dont have any programs running that take advantage of a second core, then obviously usage will be very low.

m
l
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2010 7:34:56 AM

welshmousepk is telling you that the 2nd core can only be utilized with an app which can take advantage of dual core CPUs.

Try one of the latest game titles!
m
l
a c 317 à CPUs
January 2, 2010 4:05:09 PM

If you have a program that just uses one core(thread) Windows-7 will keep it on one core to preserve the values that may be in the cache for that core. Previous os's will distribute the work to different cores. That makes a single cpu bound task look like it is not running full out. The most valid test is to use prime 95 which wants to use 100% of all cores.
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
January 2, 2010 4:23:23 PM

From what I can gather on the witcher is that like many games, its single threaded. That means you will only see one core near 100% usage while the other does virtually nothing because the game only uses one core. Nothing is wrong with your processor.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2010 6:47:35 PM

severe_009 said:
It's the same, it just fluctuated, one core is working all the way to the top while the other one sits there... I hardly pass the 60% CPU usage...

That's because you're only running programs that can take advantage of a single thread. There's nothing at all wrong with your system, it's working exactly as expected. The second core will only do something if you are either running a program which uses both cores (apparently, the programs you normally use do not fall into this category), or if you are running two single-threaded programs at once. The Prime95 test was not to fix anything, but to verify that if you ran a program which genuinely can take advantage of all available cores, that they would both work. Since they did, nothing at all is wrong with your system and it is performing normally.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2010 6:54:21 PM

cjl said:
That's because you're only running programs that can take advantage of a single thread. There's nothing at all wrong with your system, it's working exactly as expected. The second core will only do something if you are either running a program which uses both cores (apparently, the programs you normally use do not fall into this category), or if you are running two single-threaded programs at once. The Prime95 test was NOT to fix anything, but to verify that if you ran a program which genuinely can take advantage of all available cores, that they would both work. Since they did, nothing at all is wrong with your system and it is performing normally.

cjl is a PRO.

Read what cjl said closely especially the line that is in bold letters.
m
l
January 2, 2010 7:05:04 PM

Perhaps you could test to see how well the "slacker" core works by making some CPU intensive programs run on the slacking core through the Task Manager.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2010 7:18:07 PM

2nd core WILL work or it will not show up. Just because you do not run multithreaded apps does not mean your processor is broken - it is fine. If one core is overloaded to the degree in which you make it appear core 2 will kick in but just because core 1 is at 30% and the other is at 0% does not mean anything.
m
l
January 3, 2010 2:45:05 PM

Woot, sorry i just recently discovered that yeah it doesn't just use the dual core, but still recently my computer now took 4x long to booth and load application, maybe it's in the system... I just reformatted my computer well not it runs now smoothly, Thanks for all the help,, i just learned new something here that some programs doesn't fully use the dual core, Thanks and sorry i'm a noob at computer.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2010 9:27:31 PM

andy5174 said:
Windows 7 would. That's why a lot of peoples say that it is designed especially for the Turbo Mode of LGA1156 platform CPUs.

If that were true, and you were to open 4 programs that did nothing but eat up a single CPU, you would expect windows to put one on each core. Basic really: 4 copies of the program, each on a different core. Problem is, Windows doesn't do that, which always leads to core's 0 and 1 being used the most. Hence why in its current state, programmers have to go out of there way to make programs thread well (nevermind ensuring those threads end up on different cores...)
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2010 9:39:02 PM

gamerk316 said:
If that were true, and you were to open 4 programs that did nothing but eat up a single CPU, you would expect windows to put one on each core. Basic really: 4 copies of the program, each on a different core. Problem is, Windows doesn't do that, which always leads to core's 0 and 1 being used the most. Hence why in its current state, programmers have to go out of there way to make programs thread well (nevermind ensuring those threads end up on different cores...)

Don't be so picky. No OS would do it 100% right.

The issue you are talking about is due to some programs in the background being MULTITHREADED!

Windows 7 is sufficiently good in managing the turbo mode.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2010 6:32:00 AM

gamerk316 said:

If each copy of the program is fully utilizing its core, Windows will put one on each core. If each is only using a tiny bit of one core's power, Windows will try to put them all on one core, as that allows the other cores to go into a lower power state. Having one core at 20% and the other three in a low power idle is more efficient than having all 4 cores at 5%.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2010 11:45:01 AM

andy5174 said:
Don't be so picky. No OS would do it 100% right.

The issue you are talking about is due to some programs in the background being MULTITHREADED!

Windows 7 is sufficiently good in managing the turbo mode.

Multithreaded != Multicore ready. Multithreading basically is a way for a processer to quit execution of one task in order to perform another task. Been around since Windows 95 for gods sake; the trick is getting a program with multiple threads to work on more then one processing unit. And that takes a lot of programming (overhead) to do properly...
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2010 4:13:33 PM

gamerk316 said:
Multithreaded != Multicore ready. Multithreading basically is a way for a processer to quit execution of one task in order to perform another task. Been around since Windows 95 for gods sake; the trick is getting a program with multiple threads to work on more then one processing unit. And that takes a lot of programming (overhead) to do properly...

......... Multithreaded PROGRAMS

Where did you see I said multi thread = multi core? huh?

Multithreaded programs utilize multi cores is what I said.

Another guy who does not read closely before replying just like so many others do these days ......................
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 5, 2010 1:05:12 AM

andy5174 said:
......... Multithreaded PROGRAMS

Where did you see I said multi thread = multi core? huh?

Multithreaded programs utilize multi cores is what I said.

Another guy who does not read closely before replying just like so many others do these days ......................

thats blatanty not true, its supposed... oh no, nevermind. i didn't read you properly...
m
l
!