Stuttering on 1080p playback...

rapyoke

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Hey guys, I have two computers, one is my every day computer equipped as follows:

Core 2 Quad Q9550
8GB RAM
Geforce GTS 450

The second one is an Optiplex 755 that I got for free from a small business I consult for who was upgrading, and it's currently equipped as follows:

Core 2 Duo E8500
3GB RAM
Geforce 9500GT

I set up XBMC on both and it works flawlessly on the Core 2 Quad, I can even fast-forward a 1080p movie at 16X and there is no visible pixelation or distortion. On the Core 2 Duo, 1080p and 720p movies will play for maybe 15 seconds, freeze on a frame, and then stutter and catch up to the current location maybe another 15 seconds later. CPU usage is maybe 20%, and just for kicks I tried swapping in 8GB of RAM to no avail. I am looking to try a more powerful graphics card next, but is there a possibility that the CPU is too weak?

Thanks in advance

I would try to run a temperature monitoring program on it while it plays that, or even better while it does some CPU-intensive stuff. If temps are too high, try re-applying the paste.
OTOH, the GPU might be too weak for it. Also, make sure the PSU can handle the full load.

not if its really at 20 percent usage. Might have a virus scanner or something interrupting the stream. Try disabling all background apps