Core2duo 3.06GHz clocked at 12.69GHZ in BIOS

I've just changed my celeron 3.33 GHz CPU to a E7600 Core2duo 3.06Ghz. And now it is becomming wierd. At startup my BIOS is pronouncing 12.69GHz! CPU-z: 1.6GHz (SpeedStep?) and cpuspeed.exe at 3.07GHZ. I'am concerned that my BIOS is frying my new CPU. What can I do?
23 answers Last reply
More about core2duo 06ghz clocked 69ghz bios
  1. congrats you just broke a world record for cpu clocking amazing

    but what board is it?
  2. I'm thinking you should benchmark.

    Oh and check temps. If temps under load are fine and your computer is stable, don't worry about it!
  3. Benchmark??

    My temps is about 50C (speedfan) at normal tasks, computer stable.

    It rises under load, but I think my clock speed in windows is'nt the problem...
  4. obsidian86 said:
    congrats you just broke a world record for cpu clocking amazing

    but what board is it?



    Mainboard Model 775Dual-VSTA (0x00000394 - 0xBB77E020)

    BIOS ver 3.10
  5. have you tried reflashing bios ?
    does it show the correct speed in cpuz?
    did you check that your board can support your cpu?
  6. adamgade said:
    I've just changed my celeron 3.33 GHz CPU to a E7600 Core2duo 3.06Ghz. And now it is becomming wierd. At startup my BIOS is pronouncing 12.69GHz! CPU-z: 1.6GHz (SpeedStep?) and cpuspeed.exe at 3.07GHZ. I'am concerned that my BIOS is frying my new CPU. What can I do?

    Hmmmmmm.. odd! I don't know the reason.

    However, I suggest that you get a new MB as your MB is too old which supports only up 2GB DDR2-667.

    Get an immensely cheap G31 MB from a quality company, such as Asus and Gigabyte, if you don't intend to do some extreme OCing.

    My suggestions are Asus P5KPL-CM and Asus P5KPL-AM.
  7. No I've not re flashed it jet.

    Im not sure CPU-z shows 1.6GHz and 6 multiplyer, but I think it is because of intels SpeedStep (multiplyer should be 11.5) because when i use the program cpuspeed.exe the clock is 3.07 So I think that in XP my clock speed changes according to the demand (but i dont know).

    Hmm my bord can support a cpu whith the features of my E7600 but E7600 is not listed under CPU support list. :(
  8. adamgade said:
    No I've not re flashed it jet.

    Im not sure CPU-z shows 1.6GHz and 6 multiplyer, but I think it is because of intels SpeedStep (multiplyer should be 11.5) because when i use the program cpuspeed.exe the clock is 3.07 So I think that in XP my clock speed changes according to the demand (but i dont know).

    Hmm my bord can support a cpu whith the features of my E7600 but E7600 is not listed under CPU support list. :(


    Then you DEFINITELY have to get a new one!!!
  9. have you tried reflashing bios ?

    I've flashed it , and nothing changes :-(
  10. andy5174 said:


    I'll think I'll wait buying a new MB, but you are right. My main concern was if my new processer would suffer from it? And what to beleve CPU-z or CPUspeed.exe (or both)

    Thanks
  11. adamgade said:
    I'll think I'll wait buying a new MB, but you are right. My main concern was if my new processer would suffer from it? And what to beleve CPU-z or CPUspeed.exe (or both)

    Thanks

    I personally trust CPU-Z more, because it's the one I use. :p
  12. What is benchmarking?
    CPUinfo.exe also clocks it at 3.07GHz
    CPU Speed Professional also clocks it at 3.07GHz
  13. adamgade said:
    What is benchmarking?
    CPUinfo.exe also clocks it at 3.07GHz
    CPU Speed Professional also clocks it at 3.07GHz

    Example: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=108&p2=47
  14. http://hwbot.org/

    benchmarking getting the most extreme out of a pc
  15. Benchmarking essentially is running a series of standardized tests to demonstrate stability or gauge performance improvements.
  16. OK, CPU speed professional, said that it was benchmarking. hwbot apparently only works in vista.
    But is my theory about Intels speedStep correct? Could it explain the diffrence in multiplyer value? (if you change the value in cpu-z from 6 to 11.5 core speed matches CPU speed Professionals 3.07GHz)
  17. download prime95 and look at cpuz while its running
  18. adamgade said:
    I've just changed my celeron 3.33 GHz CPU to a E7600 Core2duo 3.06Ghz. And now it is becomming wierd. At startup my BIOS is pronouncing 12.69GHz! CPU-z: 1.6GHz (SpeedStep?) and cpuspeed.exe at 3.07GHZ. I'am concerned that my BIOS is frying my new CPU. What can I do?


    LOL, thats pure crysis pwnage.


    anyways, Sounds like your mobo is too old to reconize your Core 2 chip. Is it giving you any stability issues?
  19. obsidian86 said:
    download prime95 and look at cpuz while its running

    Ran prime95 for 7 mins... and nothing happens in CPU-z, but in the CPU section of prime i says that CPU speed is 3069,14MHz 2 cores, so I'm thinking that there is somthing wrong in CPU-z on my computer (have used both v 1.44 and 1.53)
  20. rambo117 said:
    LOL, thats pure crysis pwnage.


    anyways, Sounds like your mobo is too old to reconize your Core 2 chip. Is it giving you any stability issues?


    I'm thinking the exact same thing, but I'm still worried that my BIOS is frying my CPU.

    There is no stability issues, actually there is less than before :-)
  21. so your cpu speed doesn go over 1.6?
  22. obsidian86 said:
    so your cpu speed doesn go over 1.6?


    I actually don't know CPU-z says Bus Speed 266.9MHz, Multiplier x 6.0 and Core Speed 1601.4 MHz (266.9 x 6.0)

    I've read somewhere that you could disable Intels SpeedStep. But is this what is causing the problem?

    All other cpu speed testing programs says 3069.4MHz whitch eqals 266.9 x 11.5 (the multiplier value according to intel.com)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs BIOS Celeron