Hello,
I'm assembling my new gear.

Here's the components:
MB Gigabyte GA-P55-UDC
RAM 4x 2Gb OCZ Platinum LW PC3-10666 Dual Channel
PSU Seasonic S12D-750
GPU Zotac GeForce GTX260
FAN Zalman CNPS770-AlCu

System correctly boots, I could manage to install OS, but I have that led red on. Manual doesn't really helps a lot...

Second question: PSU provided both ATX12V (4+4 pin) and EPS12V (8 pin). Mainboard asks for ATX12V 8 pin, but a close look to the connector's shape seems to indicate to me that the EPS12V power cable is the right one. But the printing on boards says ATX12V even if the plug's shape is more compatible to EPS. Since both of them (ATX12V 4+4 and EPS12V 8) can be plugged in, I'm a little bit confused.

Any help would be VERY appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

bilbat

Splendid
S5 indicates 'unpowered' and should be on when system is off:

S0 or C0
The system is turned on. The CPU is executing or ready to execute instructions, PCI activity is full, AGP activity is full. RAM is being read from, written to or refreshed. Hard disks are on.

S1 "Power On Suspend/Stopgrant" MS: Standby
The system is turned on. The CPU is not executing and is not ready to execute instructions, although registers and caches are maintained. Devices signalling support for S1 are in the on state, devices without support for S1 are in the off state. RAM is idle, but refreshed. Any device currently in S1 with support for resuming may resume the system (WOL, WOR, keyboard, mouse, timer, etc.). PSU state is on. Hard disks are off in this state and all states deeper.

S2 "Standby"
Confusing "common" names. S2 is quite logically an intermediate between S1 and S3. RAM refreshes normally. The CPU is in state much like S3. In fact, this is pretty much S3 but with a faster RAM refresh.
S2 is in the spec, but not usually implemented.

S3 "Suspend to RAM" MS: Standby (if notified by BIOS)
S3 often needs enabling by jumper on the motherboard or by support in BIOS. The CPU is not executing instructions, is not ready to execute instructions, does not maintain its registers and does not maintain cache. The OS must flush dirty pages from the cache when S3 is entered. Devices able to support S3 and are enabled for resuming, may resume the system. PSU state is off, system RAM is refreshed (at reduced refresh) using 5Vsb. External peripherals (keyboard, mouse) may or may not be able to resume the system, depending on what their host controller does.

S4 "Suspend to disk" MS: Hibernate
All hardware is in the off state and maintains no context. The system may only be resumed by timer or other hardware resume devices (such as WOL or WOR), but not by interrupts. The contents of RAM are saved to disk and replaced on resume. The PSU is in the off state. Power may be mechanically removed without ill effect.
Note: S4BIOS is a variation of S4 wherein the BIOS reloads the image and not the OS boot loader. As NTLDR is S4 compatible, this is generally used with other OS'. Linux S4BIOS support is "experimental". Note also that using Windows2000 or XP with grub or lilo WILL break S4 support.

S5 "Soft-Off" MS: Hibernate
All hardware is in the off state and maintains no context. CMOS is maintained by 5Vsb, as in S4. The PSU is in off state. Power may be mechanically removed without ill effect.

As ffor the plugs: larger power supplies provide these for backward compatibility to earlier boards that don't allow 130W TDP CPUs, and have only a four pin; as well as 'forward' compatitbility with dual CPU boards that require two eight-pins; either will do - they are electrically the same...

Mugatu10

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

Many thanks for the super-fast reply :love:
In the very end mine was a non-problem :pt1cable:

Good to know the S4 stuff, due to I'm going to run a multi-OS system.

By the way I was quite confused due to things has really changed since last time I assembled my PC (2003).
Ok, my very first one was an 8086 with everything set by jumper... good old times! :sweat:

Still thank you!

Sorry for the poor english but it's not my native language.

bilbat

Splendid
[:graywolf:9]
Good to know the S4 stuff, due to I'm going to run a multi-OS system.
Like this? [:isamuelson:8]
0160.jpg

Sorry for the poor english but it's not my native language
I had guessed, but your English is very good - I have spent months in countries where my total knowledge was:
"Where is the bathroom?" (the first phrase I usually learn :lol: ), and "thank you!"

Mugatu10

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

Not a so "multi" OS :eek:
Just MS and Linux (MS for my wife, Linux for me).

About the bathroom, my experience is that eyes wide open + painful expression works worldwide :sol:

I can't find a way to "put the thread" in [Solved] mode. Only admins can do that?
Thanks again!

bilbat

Splendid
I don't really know about the whole 'solved' thing - and I should find out - it comes up once in a while... I vaguely remember having seen somewhere that it has to do with how the original post was made - whether it was a 'question' (but - what does that mean? [:bilbat:2] )?

bilbat

Splendid
Ahh! Someone who knows! OK - my question is: 'what do you do when you make the thread to differentiate'? (I'll add it to the 'sticky'...) BTW - gonna add something else you mentioned yesterday - about the need to file bug reports with GB when finding BIOS 'difficulties' (or utilities or drivers or???), so they get onto somebody's 'things to do' list! Cant expect rev 236.0265c, if they never found out that 236.0265b didn't work right!

When you start a new thread, at the top of the page the page there are two tabs. The one it defaults to is Discussion, click on the other and get Question (try starting a post just to see so you can describe it better). I personally think it should be more 'in your face' than that, because it is easy to miss.

Mugatu10

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
It seems that I should have opened a Question thread instead of a Discussion one.
Is there a way to "close" it?
I think that the S0...S5 led stuff is quite well-known to (other than me) people, so I see no point in leaving this thread enlarging the already long discussion list.

bilbat

Splendid
I really just don't 'get' how this is supposed to work - when I'm at my main forum screen, I only get one button - "Ask the Community", which apparently initiates a 'question' type post - I don't see anything for 'discussion' - maybe my JAVA 'flavor'? (Sun - just updated it, too...)

No, click on the "Ask the Community" button. Then on the new page that loads there should be the two type tabs.

And I see nothing wrong with your post, I think it will probably help others.

bilbat

Splendid
True - I had the answer 'canned' in my "Forum Posts" directory - I think it's come up five or six times in the year or so I've been doing this here...

Thanks for the tip about the two 'types' - I guess I actually post something so seldom, I've never taken time to look carefully when doing it... Wish I had known before I posted the 'sticky', I wouldn't have the stupid question mark 'haunting me', now! [:bilbat:2]

moff158

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
@ bilbat

Hey my manual doesn't contain the information you posted about the actual meanings of the onboard LEDs. I also looked on their site and couldn't find anything. Any chance you (or anybody else) could post a link to the meaning of the rest of the LEDS?

bilbat

Splendid
I'll see what solid info I can find - I believe I've seen stuff to the effect that they seem mainly to exist to 'worry' people - the set-points and functions themselves seem to 'wobble around' depending on BIOS revs... I frankly don't know what their intent is - I don't even 'trust' a single monitoring program when 'bringing up' a board - and I'm certainly not placing much credence in a 'buncha little lights'! I rely on running a variety of voltage/temp programs, and comparing results - every once in a while, you'll get a 'flier' from one of the other, showing some value you just know is impossible!

moff158

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Yeah I totally agree. The issue is that the board isn't even POSTing. I've narrowed it down to the MB, CPU, or RAM, but unfortunately have no way of testing any of those further as this computer is on different standards than all of my previous boxes. So I was hoping to be able to see if the few lights that come on initially then either go away or stick around mean anything.

Anyways, thanks for prompt response. Let me know if you find anything about the rest of the lights. I've pretty much thrown myself at google and the only thing I've dug up that's related is this thread, ha!