Sign in with
Your question

PCI/PCIe Hard drive controller

Last response: in Storage
August 28, 2011 2:28:55 PM

Hey guys, am not sure whether or not this is the right forum to post this, but here's my question hopefulyl you can help me out with it.

Am going to buy a 2TB WD Green, as I am currently running out of disk space, but unfortunately I do not have any spare SATA connectors from my motherboard as they are all occupied (Asus P6T V2 Deluxe) with my current 4.5TB set-up.

I was wondering, what's the best PCI/PCIe sata HD to buy? Also, is it worth sacrificing a PCIe slot instead of a PCI for it?

Thanks in advance
a c 119 G Storage
August 28, 2011 3:57:44 PM

The 'Green' drives generally have more problems than the regular drives. Take this into consideration in your decision.

Regarding adding a drive; can you consider an external eSATA drive? eSATA is quite fast!
August 28, 2011 6:53:41 PM

I've got both black and green, where the greens are used mostly for data I dont use every day... basically what I wanted to point out was the speed of the drive..

I prefer an internal drive to be honest
Related resources
a c 119 G Storage
August 28, 2011 6:57:19 PM

I agree internal drives are better. But as far as speed goes, eSATA is just as fast as an internal drive.

Since you do not have any available SATA ports, is it possible to consolidate drives by going to larger capacities and thus free up 1 SATA port?
August 28, 2011 7:15:27 PM

well the thing is, one of my SATA ports is occupied by my SSD.. and then i've got a 2TB drive, 1x 500 and 2x1TB (if i remmeber well, currently abroad)..

So it's a matter of wether to sacrifice a 500GB for a new 2TB one, or buy a PCI/PCIe controller, use one of its sata ports (if it has more the better) and then also have the option to add more..

And that's why I was asking for a good controller just to have my options open
a c 375 G Storage
August 29, 2011 3:34:52 PM

You could get a card that has mutliple internal sata ports, but can your case handle additional drives? If so, get a card with internal ports, otherwise I agree with ubrales and get a card that has esata ports. Also, if you get a card with multiple ports, I'd go PCIe.
!