Q9550
Zalman CPU fan (forget model)
Asus P5Q
Antec P183
Seasonic S12II 500 watt
NVidia Geforce 9600GT
2x1GB Crucial Rendition RAM (667)
4xWD Caviar Blacks (3x500, 1 TB)

Yesterday I was in the middle of just surfing the net and my computer shut down out of the blue. The computer would not power back on and I immediately started pulling out and started to smell a burning/plastic smell. Nothing was visibly fried and I confirmed my HDDs were OK and started pulling components. My PSU smelled the most and fearing it took other components down with it, I started pulling them. I hooked up an old crappy 400w PSU and at first it didn't work, but I finally got it to.
I pulled out an old motherboard and CPU and hooked both PSUs on the floor up to it and the old one would also power it, but not my Seasonic.

I've owned the Seasonic for about 1.5 years and it's also been great, I liked it a lot. I don't know if it's worth RMA'ing or just buying a new one. My local store seems out of stock and nobody seems to have them, so I don't know if they are getting phased out or what, but I haven't talked to my store yet.

Other than just a random failure, I was wondering if maybe it overheated. My computer always ran nice and cool and was silent. I sometimes checked the PSU and it didn't seem to be too hot or anything. I was just thinking my case puts the PSU at the bottom in a separate "chamber" and it was down there with it's own single 12cm fan on the bottom facing the floor with about an inch between for air flow and no back exhaust fan on the PSU. There was two HDDs in a cage down there also, but they weren't used often and I did not have the optional front fan (in front of the hard drive cage) for the P183 installed. I also regularly used compressed air on the computer and I did not have any dust buildup. Any thoughts on that?

If it was in fact my fault somehow (my case setup SHOULD be fine because it's designed to do that...) I assume Seasonic would deem it my fault and then I'd be out more money. What do you guys suggest?

smashguy37

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
I'll try. I have to contact the company because it won't accept my serial. I've read they have excellent customer service and I hope that is the case because I've never RMA'd anything before.