Eyefinity + future xfire support

mrreynolds

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Hi to all :hello:

I am about to build a new gaming rig. I was thinking an overclocked i5 with a 5870 would be my best bet. I don't care for SLI / X-fire normally,
.....BUT......

I want to run 3 way eyefinity and I don't have any display port monitors. I also don't want to fork out £100 (est) on a powered adapter (if I could find one in the UK)!!

At present I know X-fire support is not working (say 2 DVI from 1 card and another from the x-fired one).

Does anyone know if there will be driver support in the future?

If so, I'll get an i7 system and x-fire a couple of 5850s together :sol: I know this system would be more expensive, but since I would be getting a performance gain i'm not too concerned.

All help is much appreciated, MrR :)

ps, sorry if this post is a little rushed, did write a better one but my browser lost the text :cry:

mrreynolds

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Oooh, it's dark in here......BUMP......ouch :pt1cable:

Okay, bit of an update. There are hardly any high end 58xxs in the UK at the moment and the 5850s are now bumping up to £230 pre-order (OUCH)!!!

I'm looking at Cross-firing a pair of 5770s together. This would give be 5870 performance for less!!
Sounds like a good idea? Didn't want to xfire really....didnt want to over-stress my PSU, but I reckon it shold be able to handle it.

Any word on that crossfire/eyefinity support? I've read a few "IF ATI SORT IT" like comments, but nothing substantiated.
Thanks again for any useful input.
MrR

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

I seriously doubt that ATI will get support for the monitor configuration you want: 2 DVI from 1 card, 1 from the other. I don't think that it is even possible when using crossfire on any ATI card (or SLI using nVidia).
The Eyefinity feature will get supported when using crossfire, but that is only when using displays connected to one card (ATM Eyefinity doesn't work when X-fire is present).