devvo

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
Good day all; I am just about finished building my computer (i'm fairly new to the experience) and just about everything works perfectly. I installed a BFG GeForce GTX 260, dGPU...I installed the latest drivers from BFG's website, and of course I also installed the latest DirectX and as far as I can tell it is working just fine, all of my games can be run at maximum settings etc...I'm running Vista Ultimate and it too is actually running seemlessly (imagine that)....However this is the problem; and I suppose its a bit fickle...

I have a vista rating index of..... 1.0! Allow me to ellaborate...

Component Details Subscore
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) 9950 Quad-Core Processor 5.9
Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB 5.9
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 1.0
Gaming graphics 2431 MB Total available graphics memory 1.0
Primary hard disk 199GB Free (298GB Total) 5.9

Now...I guess it would be possible that my dGPU really is indeed a 1.0 as far as Vista is concerned (but I seriously doubt it)....however my suspicions were raised when it says (above the system ratings) that there is new hardware detected and that I should refresh my system ratings, so I do and nothing changes the subscores dont change and the new hardware detection message doesnt go away. So I'm at my wits end, the only thing that I haven't tried that I've thought of was to use a "driver cleaner" and start over from scratch and re-install the dGPU... so is that my only option or is there something I may be overlooking?

Thanks for the help!
-devvo

(ps. I am content as far as function with everything as-is but this querk is irk'n the crap out of me because I have no idea how to fix it or figure it out)
(pps. 1TB HDD is on the way so dont gawk too much at my tiny storage ;))

Incase it helps;
ASUS M3N72-D MOBO
AMD PHENOM X4 9950
4Gb DDR2
BFG GeFORCE GTX 260
850W CORSAIR PSU

devvo

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
Lol, I appreciate the help; yes it's in the correct PCIe slot, although I'm going to try the bios disable right now so I'll get back to you; thats a good point. and i'm pretty sure the vista scale is 1-5.9 (its weird i know)

devvo

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
my bios will only allow for setting the onboard gpu to either 'always enable' or 'auto' so i cannot out rightly-disable it; and still a no-go...my latest and greatest idea now is im going to try a windows-vista-compatibility test and see if theres some to be learned there...lack of support or something---it seems far left to me but worth a try...

devvo

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
Figured it out with a bit more prying...apparently this is a common problem; Vista was designed in a manner more lengthy than i care to explain here to show the lowest scores it rates for your configuration and when you add new hardware you have to goto "Start", and type in,

%SYSTEMROOT%\Performance\WinSat\DataStore

into search and delete all of the .XML files there and then refresh the rating index, so now i am the proud owner of an all-around 5.9 (confirmed highest index) rated desktop