Sign in with
Your question

Can I upgrade the graphics on this machine?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 27, 2009 6:54:47 PM

I am looking at this machine:

http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/StaplesProductDi...

Simply because it seems like a lot of bang for the buck, but if I buy it, I would like to upgrade the graphics. Would that be possible?
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2009 7:04:08 PM

Short answer: yes...ish.

These should be the specs on the computer:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/computers/desktops/p...

However, they don't list the PSU. You do have a free PCI-E x16, so you can put a new card in, but if the PSU is feeble like in most prebuilts (it is sized to what the base system needs, so if you add something power hungry...) you will need to upgrade it. That still is no huge deal, as a PSU upgrade is only $50 or so, but that is a bit more work than just plopping a new card in.
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
October 27, 2009 7:15:55 PM

Yes, you can but you may also need to upgrade the power supply as well.

The specs does no list how powerful the PSU is so I would say at most a HD 4670 or 9600GT without a new PSU.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2009 7:17:07 PM

according to this thread from a couple days ago, that computer comes with a 300W power supply, which is pretty puny. But likely enough to support some of the cards with lower power consumption, like an HD4650 or HD4670 (I've got the former in my old machine with a 350W supply).

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/272648-33-upgrade-gra...

m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2009 10:24:54 PM

Yeah, unless it is really underpowered it should be able to swing a 4650 or so, but that is about it. If your needs are higher than that, a new PSU is required.
m
l
October 28, 2009 2:57:52 AM

Lol @ "Out of Stock" in big red letters. At any rate, you should obtain at least a 450W power supply to go with it, I'd recommend overshooting the minimum a bit and getting a 550W. The good cards availible at retail stores (ATI 4850, GeForce GTX260) require a 450W minimum, and retail computers (even gaming ones) pinch pennies in areas you wouldn't think of. Even ASUS gaming machines at Best Buy have power supplies only large enough to cover what's in the computer already, not to cover future upgrades or add-ons.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 28, 2009 7:51:14 AM

Ahh, yes. Just find a friend who loves building pc's, their everywhere. Save's you hundreds of dollars and the upgrading potential is twice that of any mainstream pc distributing company. To answer your question yes you will be able to upgrade, but by the time you have the money it won't be worth it.
m
l
October 28, 2009 8:09:00 AM

Quote:
Ahh, yes. Just find a friend who loves building pc's, their everywhere. Save's you hundreds of dollars and the upgrading potential is twice that of any mainstream pc distributing company. To answer your question yes you will be able to upgrade, but by the time you have the money it won't be worth it.

Or maybe dont save money, but get better components as big system builders usually use lower quality and cheaper brands to save money.
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
October 28, 2009 8:55:09 AM

Better Play safe, get a better PSU first. It 's the "HEART" on your system.
Sure u don't want frying the other components on your case. 500W of good brand PSU like Corsair, Antec or maybe SilverStone(around $50) would do a great job if you want to upgrade your graphic...
m
l
October 28, 2009 1:31:31 PM

There are no free lunches.
m
l
!