Sign in with
Your question

Intel 2 Quad Q6600

Last response: in Overclocking
February 2, 2012 4:46:56 PM

I'm going to buy a new pc and I need some help with over clocking.

It has a Q6600 processor and a Gigabyte X38-DQ6 mobo.

I don't know much about pc's so can you help me.

1. how would I overclock? from software or from the mobo's bios?

2.If I overclock, will it overclock a single core or all four?

3.What (ghz) should I overclock to? / what is the maximum that this core can cope.

4.What is the optimum temp that a a CPU should be at?

5.How do I check the temps? Do I have to buy a PC thermometer or does the CPU have one built in that can be checked via software?

Thanks in advance
~JackieTran

More about : intel quad q6600

a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
February 2, 2012 5:02:26 PM

You mean you are going to buy an old PC. :) 

1. BIOS is best.
2. You overclock all 4 cores.
3. Up to you. The upper limit with stability is about 3.4 - 3.6 GHz.
4. Keep the temps under 70 C.
5. Use software such as RealTemp, CoreTemp, or HWmonitor.

This will get you started:
Shadow's Gigabyte motherboard OC guide:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-245679_11_0.ht...
It's for an EP35-DS3L but all the Gigabyte Core2 BIOS's are similar.

Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Change the System Memory Multiplier from AUTO to 2.00. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in in proportion with it. At an FSB of 266 MHz, your memory clock should be at 533 MHz.

The stock cooler is good up to 3.0 Ghz. Anything higher will require better cooling.
February 2, 2012 5:06:05 PM

What is the best cooling method for the average joe?
... not liquid nitrogen xD

And if I keep using fans, how will I keep the cpu's cooler? I heard that airflow controlling was good. What else?
Related resources
February 2, 2012 5:26:32 PM

Also, is overclocking bad?

If I manage to overclock at 3.2ghz while making the temp the same as default, will it still damage the CPU?
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 9, 2012 1:42:47 PM

I currently have this exact CPU and it's running at 3.6. I'm about to upgrade to an i7 2700, but I can tell you that if you have a G0 chip, they tend to overclock very well. You would do yourself well to read through the Core 2 OC guide here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259899-29-core-overclocking-guide

You can easily change it from stock 2.4 ghz to 3.0 ghz simply by changing the FSB from 266 to 333 without any voltage bumps. If you want to go higher, you can do a couple of different things depending on the motherboard and BIOS. You can drop the multiplier from 9x to 8x and usually get higher clocks with lower voltages, but will limit your overall ceiling based simply on the multi. If you leave it at 9x, you will see higher frequencies, but will encounter the need to bump voltages past 3.2 ghz or so.

For instance, my chip requires 1.47500 volts to reach 3.6 ghz and remain stable for 10-20 runs of Intel Burn Test. Nothing less is stable. Also note, that you'll want to determine what you need exactly for your chip, not all are the same. If you find stability at the speed you want, try dropping voltage until it's unstable, then reverting to the last stable setting. Likewise, you can also increment up on voltage until you no longer get failures on stability tests.

You'll want:

Intel Burn Test
RealTemp

Google these apps, you'll want/need them.
!