Sign in with
Your question

New build: VGA not recognised on Asus P7H57D-V EVO

Last response: in Motherboards
April 7, 2010 2:51:19 PM

I am upgrading an old computer with an Asus P7H57D-V EVO mobo + i5-750 CPU. I chose G.Skill DDR3-1600 RAM (2×2 GB -- part code F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM) RAM. When I start it up, all the fans work and the mobo goes through its POST procedure, finishing up beeping long + 3 shorts (VGA not detected) and the VGA warning LED remains lit. Nothing on-screen (No signal) using either D-Sub or DVI ports. I am using the integrated graphics. The i5 CPU has an onboard GPU. My question is: how can I tell whether the motherboard or the CPU is at fault so I know which to send back?

The power supply is an adequate 450W and yes, I have plugged in the 8-pin plug ;) 

The story so far...

The first time I tested, I had a contretemps with the lead to the CPU fan fouling the fan blades, so my assumption was that I had fried the CPU and bought a replacement. When I tried the replacement, I got exactly the same problem. This led me to believe it was the mobo at fault. The shop agreed and replaced it. And I still get the same problem. This means either that one of the replacement components is also faulty or that something else is causing the issue, e.g. the RAM, and the mobo is mis-reporting the cause.

Let's start with the RAM. The sticks are specced as CL7-8-7-24. This 4 GB module is not on the Qualified Vendors List in the mobo User Guide, though the 2GB and 6GB ones are -- could that be significant? I have never had problems with RAM before so long as it met the minimum specifications, but are things different for the new generation of motherboards?

With no RAM fitted, the board correctly emits one long & 2 short beeps and stops with the RAM LED lit. I have tried both sticks singly and both give the same results: in the blue sockets they appear to pass POST and it goes on to beep that VGA is not detected. In the black sockets there is silence but the RAM warning LED stays lit. Is this incompatibility or a mobo fault? The User Guide says you can use any socket.

A further test I did was to fit a PCI graphics card of considerable antiquity. I had to clear the CMOS RAM but once recognised, the board passed the VGA test and went on to complain about lack of a boot device -- fair enough, there isn't one yet. The screen showed the board's splash screen with the bottom band corrupted and partly off-screen to the right. The computer froze and did not accept any keyboard input so it is impossible to get to the BIOS screen. My local computer shop has offered to try a new PCIe graphics card and see whether it works, on the assumption I buy the card if it solves the problem. That would be progress (and further unexpected expense), but I still would not know whether the board or the CPU is faulty and therefore don't know from whom to demand a replacement, as I got them from different sources.

This blurring the line between CPU and GPU might have seemed like a good idea to someone, but it makes diagnosis darn difficult. Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 89 V Motherboard
April 7, 2010 3:14:46 PM

acrowland said:
I am upgrading an old computer with an Asus P7H57D-V EVO mobo + i5-750 CPU. I chose G.Skill DDR3-1600 RAM (2×2 GB -- part code F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM) RAM. When I start it up, all the fans work and the mobo goes through its POST procedure, finishing up beeping long + 3 shorts (VGA not detected) and the VGA warning LED remains lit. Nothing on-screen (No signal) using either D-Sub or DVI ports. I am using the integrated graphics. The i5 CPU has an onboard GPU.

I stopped reading after that sentence. The i5 750 does NOT have an integrated GPU. The only Intel CPU's that currently have integrated graphics are all dual core chips. You will never get video output from your motherboard when paired with the i5 750. You have to get a graphics card.
April 7, 2010 3:31:14 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
I stopped reading after that sentence. The i5 750 does NOT have an integrated GPU. The only Intel CPU's that currently have integrated graphics are all dual core chips. You will never get video output from your motherboard when paired with the i5 750. You have to get a graphics card.

Thank you for such a quick reply.
I am gobstruck -- after all the research I did!
Thanks again.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 89 V Motherboard
April 7, 2010 3:32:29 PM

No problem. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :( 
!