Just a nickname

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Hi,

I had 2Gb of RAM on win xp x32 (was perfect), but I'm upgrading to 4Gb and x32 cannot recognize more than 3.2 Gb :non:
So I gues I have to upgrade the OS :bounce:
I was wondering which one I should get. Seems that win 7 is bugged etc. Vista isn't that nice so what should I do? :ouch:

Just a nickname

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009

Is the rebate only applicable to US resident?
@wolf I don't want to be mean, but I think you can answer to your question.

Techn9ne1730

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
What makes you think Win 7 is bugged? If anything I would say that title goes to Vista, all though personally I dont buy all the negative feedback Vista has received, but thats another issue.

As for going 64 bit, go with Win 7 x64 do the research. It has received mass praise. It will give you much better performance then a x86 os.

Remember one thing....every Windows OS ever released was slower than the one before it on the same hardware. Windows 7 is thought by many just to be Vista SP3. So upgrading to Windows 7 from XP with only a RAM upgrade will just mean your computer will run slower.

Windows XP Requirements:

PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

Now look at Win7

1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

Performace dictates that you stick with what you got until you are ready to do a significant hardware upgrade. RAM alone isn't gonna make up for the increased demands on the system.

scubba85

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Indeed your computer may run slower with normal windows features, but from my experience my benchmarks on windows 7 are generally 1-5% higher than windows xp, so I wouldnt worry about programs or games running any slower.

Just a nickname

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
@JackNaylorPE:
Upgrade:
E6400 @2.1GHz -> Changed stock cooler for a scythe mugen 2 (the e6400 can be ~+50% faster from original clockrate so let's say 3.2GHz)
Kingston 2x1Gb 333MHz -> GSkill PI black 2x2GB 800MHz 4-4-4-12
I'll change the G/C after O/Cing to be sure that my CPU won't be bottleneck.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
I'm using Vista 64 and love it. No intention of jumping to 7 just yet, why do that for minimal performance gain and a basic rehash of what I've got? Though I probably will jump to 7 eventually, just not high priority. Regardless, I've had very few issues, so I'd say 64 bit is pretty good, nice thing about Vista 64 and 7 64 bit, is that Vista has had time to mature, and 7, since it's pretty much Vista redone, and they will keep bringing updates out, it should mature and be even better. I don't think you will go wrong with it.