Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer will not boot with agp card

Last response: in Systems
October 16, 2009 6:07:09 PM

I have been running a pci graphics card on this system without issue.

My friend just gave me an agp graphics card to use, as well as a motherboard(same model board, faster processor).

After switching out to the new board and booting successfully, I used drivesweeper to remove the old drivers and put in the new card. I went into the bios to change the graphics from pci to onboard/agp. I get display until windows starts to load, then it blue screens briefly and reboots. I have tried starting in safe mode and the same thing happens, as the drivers load it blue screens and reboots.

I tried this a little while back with another agp card on the old motherboard with the same result. I thought the agp slot was bad, but I have just switched out the motherboard so it can't be that. He was just using the board and card in his old system without issue.

Why is this happening?

More about : computer boot agp card

a c 113 B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 16, 2009 6:11:52 PM

What is the model of the motherboard? is the old board the EXACT same model or just the same socket/brand?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 16, 2009 6:16:18 PM

Maybe try this. Re-install temporarily the PCI card, boot into BIOS Setup and get that set so it runs, then proceed into Windows. Within Windows Device Manager, delete ALL the drivers for video cards and Remove the video card device, then shut down. Now install the AGP card, boot into BIOS Setup and set that card as the device to use. Save and Exit to boot into Windows. It should just boot with its own very basic VGA video drivers. Once in Windows, install the proper drivers for that card.

You MIGHT also have to Remove and then re-install the drivers for your Monitor, since Windows appears to recognize an association between the monitor and the card that drives it.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 16, 2009 6:32:20 PM

hi there seems like your not the only one that had problems with driversweeper

you can read that post but no found solution

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=279238

From what i read you have to reinstall windows cause file got corrupted....

or maybe you download a false driver sweeper and was a trojan in it....

anyway reinstall windows without formatting to see if it works.

if it doesn't you'll have to backup and do clean install.

good luck
m
l
October 16, 2009 6:39:59 PM

Proximon said:
What is the model of the motherboard? is the old board the EXACT same model or just the same socket/brand?

Exact same mother board, P4SD-LA. I think it is from a HP computer. Went from a 2.4 Ghz proc to a 3.0.
m
l
October 16, 2009 6:44:14 PM

dextermat said:
hi there seems like your not the only one that had problems with driversweeper

you can read that post but no found solution

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=279238

From what i read you have to reinstall windows cause file got corrupted....

or maybe you download a false driver sweeper and was a trojan in it....

anyway reinstall windows without formatting to see if it works.

if it doesn't you'll have to backup and do clean install.

good luck

I don't know if this applies. The first time I switched out cards on the old mb I had the same problem. I did not use drivesweeper then.

Thank you for the information though.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 16, 2009 7:41:25 PM

If Paperdoc's advice didn't work, it sounds as if you need to install the OS fresh.
October 16, 2009 7:44:27 PM

I will give the earlier suggestion a try. Would trying a repair install of windows be any use?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 17, 2009 12:46:17 AM

It would be worth a try anyway.
m
l
!