Sign in with
Your question

Psu with fan facing down in antec 1200

Last response: in Components
January 2, 2010 2:37:48 PM

I was wanting to place my psu with the fan facing down so my big cables will be closer to case cut outs, in the antec 1200 there are four rubber spacers that are quarter inch thick for the psu to lay on, would this be enough to supply the psu fan sufficient air flow thanks :sol: 

More about : psu fan facing antec 1200

a b ) Power supply
January 2, 2010 3:05:02 PM

Try it - it looks like that's what the spacers do (also dampen vibration and noise). If it doesn't work for you, cut out a hole in the bottom of the case and add some feet.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 2, 2010 5:23:31 PM

To be honest there isnt a great deal of difference in the temperature which way you place the PSU - I tried both to get the neatest cabling solution, and using temp probes monitored the results. Worst case scenario was 2 degrees - in a heated room.. so you should be fine either way up. I settled on fan up
m
l
Related resources
a c 77 ) Power supply
January 2, 2010 8:39:48 PM

ulysses35 said:
To be honest there isnt a great deal of difference in the temperature which way you place the PSU - I tried both to get the neatest cabling solution, and using temp probes monitored the results. Worst case scenario was 2 degrees - in a heated room.. so you should be fine either way up. I settled on fan up

Interesting study... I've always been a believer in having the fan facing up so it sucks air in and exhausts it out through the PSU.

@OP: I recommend picking up an 8-pin ATX power cord extension to help with the cable management. It made a big difference for my Antec 1200 build.
m
l
January 3, 2010 4:46:37 AM

thanks for the replies, I do have a 8 pin extension installed, psu seems ok fan facing down, case temps are 23.0 c, my new rig is alive, no DOA's, win 7 64 bit was painless.
m
l
a c 77 ) Power supply
January 3, 2010 4:01:13 PM

Quote:
Apparently nobody reads directions anymore.
Is that the little book that comes with each part? I always wondered what that was for... :)  [:mousemonkey:5]

m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 3, 2010 4:46:47 PM

Or cut a hole in the bottom of the case. Most PSUs are still built to be top-mounted, even though many cases today have bottom-mounts for the PSU. You can mount it fan-side up, but then the power cables are on the wrong side of the case for good case cable management, and require 24-pin and 8-pin extensions.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 3, 2010 10:52:16 PM

Same here - I researched the PSU cables before I built, many others do not, and later find they won't reach, especially the 8-pin lead.
m
l
January 4, 2010 10:05:10 PM

I decided to flip it back over, my 24 pin was just long enough and already had 8 pin ext, didnt feel like cutting holes in my case thanks later
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 5, 2010 1:30:06 AM

Enjoy your build!
m
l
January 5, 2010 1:11:33 PM

Don't most newer bottom mount cases have the option to mount it fan down anyway? My bro just picked up a xiggy Midgard case and that has the bottom hole cut in with a slide out dust filter and 1/2" feet for fan-down install.
m
l
January 15, 2010 12:08:07 PM

thanks for all the info, everything is working great :sol: 
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
January 15, 2010 1:54:39 PM

^5 +1 what treefrog07 said.

In the Antec Twelve Hundred there is no opening in the bottom panel for the psu to drawn in fresh air. Therefore the psu should be installed with the fan on top.

m
l
!