Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

PLEASE HELP ME

Last response: in Components
Share
January 2, 2010 3:41:09 PM

for a mother board i have an EVGA NFORCE4 133-K8-NF41-XX

and was wondering if its compatable with a duo core processer,

if i should upgrade my NVIDIA GeForce 7800 (and if so what can i get) , i want to be playing moderatley new games like cod6 well




More about : question

Best solution

a c 296 V Motherboard
January 2, 2010 4:56:10 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

For the duo core processor, you can change BUT only with AMD processor X2. And also, we need know what specific processor you want to check the "processor supported list" of the mobo.

This is the manual of your mobo, can support Athlon 64 939pin dual core processors, the problem is that AMD has ceased the production of this socket to focus on current and future platforms.

Here is the list of some AMD processor, look for the socket 939 and try to get one. I think that the max processor that you mobo can support is the 64 X2 4800+

For the GPU, you can replace with any of this, the decition depends of your budget and PSU.

Cheers and good luck! :hello: 
Share
a b V Motherboard
January 2, 2010 5:30:14 PM

That's a socket 939 board. It's compatible with socket 939 dual core CPUs, but of course you have to find such a CPU. Currently they run for a pretty high price on eBay, so you have to decide if it's worth it to get such a CPU, or simply replace your motherboard, CPU, and RAM.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 2, 2010 5:34:05 PM

If you get a processor make sure it is a .......socket 939....... NOTHING else will fit. This is AMD's old stuff and not compatible with any AM or AM2 stuff. I have several dual core 939 processors and having dual does help in most instances anymore. Unfortunately finding one will be hard and might be expensive. 3800/4200/4400/4800 dual core 939's...and maybe the FX60 will fit on that board.

The 7800....... is this the 7800gt ? I have a couple of those. Not worth a hill of beans anymore. Even if you can't get a processor for your board I would definitely replace the card. Should have said what processor you have now....... performance will dictate a card. Something along the lines of a /8800gt/9600gt/4850/5750/5770/....even 4770 but wouldn't touch one since the 5000 series came out...... would all be a major upgrade over the 7800...... and would work fine with whatever you have for processing power. Power supply might be another issue since we don't know what you have.

Not having a dual core might hinder the way that game performs.... don't know. I don't have it and don't know what the specs are. Let us know what you do and how it turns out.
m
0
l
January 2, 2010 7:14:29 PM

saint19 said:
Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

For the duo core processor, you can change BUT only with AMD processor X2. And also, we need know what specific processor you want to check the "processor supported list" of the mobo.

This is the manual of your mobo, can support Athlon 64 939pin dual core processors, the problem is that AMD has ceased the production of this socket to focus on current and future platforms.

Here is the list of some AMD processor, look for the socket 939 and try to get one. I think that the max processor that you mobo can support is the 64 X2 4800+

For the GPU, you can replace with any of this, the decition depends of your budget and PSU.

Cheers and good luck! :hello: 


Would it really be worth it to replace my card with the GeForce 9800 GT
m
0
l
January 2, 2010 7:19:57 PM

swifty_morgan said:
If you get a processor make sure it is a .......socket 939....... NOTHING else will fit. This is AMD's old stuff and not compatible with any AM or AM2 stuff. I have several dual core 939 processors and having dual does help in most instances anymore. Unfortunately finding one will be hard and might be expensive. 3800/4200/4400/4800 dual core 939's...and maybe the FX60 will fit on that board.

The 7800....... is this the 7800gt ? I have a couple of those. Not worth a hill of beans anymore. Even if you can't get a processor for your board I would definitely replace the card. Should have said what processor you have now....... performance will dictate a card. Something along the lines of a /8800gt/9600gt/4850/5750/5770/....even 4770 but wouldn't touch one since the 5000 series came out...... would all be a major upgrade over the 7800...... and would work fine with whatever you have for processing power. Power supply might be another issue since we don't know what you have.

Not having a dual core might hinder the way that game performs.... don't know. I don't have it and don't know what the specs are. Let us know what you do and how it turns out.


i have a 2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2010 1:18:44 AM

I have a 3700 ( 2.2 ) I think it is. I had a 7800gt on it a long time ago. Now it has an 8800gts 640 card. The processor cannot give it everything it needs to be used to it's potential but the benefits over the 7800 are phenomenal depending on the game you want to play. If you want the 9800 card go for it. Let us know what you have for a power supply... make/model/watts/amps..........etc.
m
0
l
January 3, 2010 2:05:12 AM

swifty_morgan said:
I have a 3700 ( 2.2 ) I think it is. I had a 7800gt on it a long time ago. Now it has an 8800gts 640 card. The processor cannot give it everything it needs to be used to it's potential but the benefits over the 7800 are phenomenal depending on the game you want to play. If you want the 9800 card go for it. Let us know what you have for a power supply... make/model/watts/amps..........etc.


im viewing my system info with belarc advisor(i made this computer like 3 years ago) , and i dont see the power supply, and i dont remember it :sweat: 
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2010 2:08:29 AM

You're going to have to pull the side off the case to get the new card in............. pull the side and look.
m
0
l
January 3, 2010 6:14:24 PM

swifty_morgan said:
You're going to have to pull the side off the case to get the new card in............. pull the side and look.



kk
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2010 7:35:19 PM

Matter of fact, if you're running a 7800 it'll probably be ok for a 9800.
m
0
l
January 4, 2010 12:27:45 AM

good, thank you
m
0
l
!