Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Update SSD Firmware Via USB Flash Drive

Last response: in Storage
August 28, 2011 8:44:27 PM

I'm having a hard time getting my flash drive to boot the firmware revision .iso. The iso contains a BOOT/ISOLINUX folder with ISOLINUX.BIN and BOOT2880.IMG files. I've tried formatting (FAT16) and extracting the ISO, tried RMPrepUSB (Win7 and SYSLINUX), and bootsect.exe using both nt60/nt52.

With my first attempt (extracting ISO directly), I get a message that says "Please remove all media and disks. Press any key to restart". Everything else ends with not finding the bootmgr, etc., or nothing at all and boots right into windows.

What am I missing here? Can anyone help? And yes, I'm fully aware that burning to a CD would have saved me hours of headache :) 

Best solution

August 29, 2011 10:38:00 AM

mahdhatre said:
I'm having a hard time getting my flash drive to boot the firmware revision .iso. The iso contains a BOOT/ISOLINUX folder with ISOLINUX.BIN and BOOT2880.IMG files. I've tried formatting (FAT16) and extracting the ISO, tried RMPrepUSB (Win7 and SYSLINUX), and bootsect.exe using both nt60/nt52.

With my first attempt (extracting ISO directly), I get a message that says "Please remove all media and disks. Press any key to restart". Everything else ends with not finding the bootmgr, etc., or nothing at all and boots right into windows.

What am I missing here? Can anyone help? And yes, I'm fully aware that burning to a CD would have saved me hours of headache :) 

mahdhatre said:

BOOT2880 sounds like a floppy disk image.

1. Format pen with RMPrepUSB as Boot as HDD+MSDOS+FAT32
2. Install grub4dos and copy grldr file when prompted
3. Press F4 and make a menu.lst

title flash Bios
find --set-root /BOOT2880.IMG
map /BOOT2880.IMG (fd0)
map --hook
chainloader (fd0)+1
rootnoverify (fd0)
map --floppies=1

4. copy BOOT2880.IMG to pen

(you can press F11 to test it in a Windows emulator first).
August 30, 2011 3:18:26 AM

Wow! Thank you. Worked perfectly, and thanks for the menu.lst code as well. I had a suspicion I needed grub but had no idea how to set it up
m
l
August 30, 2011 3:18:40 AM

Best answer selected by mahdhatre.
m
l
!