NIC's won't work....at all.

toddschick

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Hey folks...

I'm posting here, because in the 10 some years I've been working on CPU's, I've never come across this issue before.

Motherboard is a VIA Chipset P4M266. Had to format the HD; OS was corrupt. First problem was the integrated NIC didn't work, though showed up in Windows XP as installed and functional. This issue, I have encountered many times and I have to admit, my solution usually was to install one of the 6 million PCI NICs I have in my shop, put a piece of tape over the integrated slot and move on.....

However....that didn't work this time around....and I'm stumped. I can't get ANY NIC to work on this thing - I've tried 4 PCI NICS (all tested and work in other machines) and no luck.....I tried all three slots. They show up as installed and working.....but when the cable goes in...nothing.

Yes...there's nothing wrong with the cable - if there was a problem...I wouldn't be making this post....lol.

Has anyone encountered something like this before....? I welcome any suggestions.

Kind regards,

TS

toddschick

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Good call....and thanks for the advice.

I tried a USB PCI card I had kicking around; same thing, lights on (it installs drivers properly) but nobody is home. I plugged in a USB memory stick, the card couldn't read it. Plugged the same stick into the front panel USB port - system read it just fine.

So....you think the board is toast?

Regards,

TS

Thadius856

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010

Sounds like the controller is toast. I typically have it happen to my front USB headers and have to go PCI/-e, seemingly the opposite of what you've gotten.

toddschick

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Uh...did you read the whole thread? I wasn't looking specifically at the USB controller, but rather the board itself and it's I/O functions - NIC's didn't work either....the USB card was used merely for testing the board.

Thadius856

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010

Yes, I read the post. Re-read mine. I'm not saying your USB controller is toast. I'm saying that my personal experience is that my USB controllers tend to fry, forcing me to resort to PCI/PCI-e adapters - the opposite of what's happening to you.

Thadius856

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Not necessarily. Any number of things could have happened, including a blown electrolytic capacitor or a burnt trace that both rely on.

Reinstall the most current drivers you can find from the manufacturer. If that doesn't work, try re-flashing if you feel comfortable doing so. If that doesn't work, and the manufacturer doesn't have any other testing ideas, you're likely looking at failed hardware.