Sign in with
Your question

Want to set up raid 0 array

Last response: in Storage
August 28, 2011 9:22:11 PM

I have a few choices for hard drives.

I have on hand

three SAMSUNG HD103SJ although i think they are the f3 and not f3r
I read that the f3r are for raid and the others are not?

how would i tell which i have?
i have looked on the drive and I don't see F3 or F3R anywhere.

also I have ordered three smaller drives and i guess i would prefer to use these since it will be a cheaper

these are my notes from my wish list
i see there are two benchmarks for the same drive and no info on which one i am getting
also the 934 number is unreal it seems to beat out some ssd i think.
is that an actual number for those drives or a mistake?

Seagate ST500DM002-1BC142 846
Save $5 with promo code EMCKBHE35, ends 8/31
Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 934
benchmarks from
http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/high_end_drives.html

the samsung is on that page too at 875

anyway how can i tell which drives I am getting or when i get them how can i check?

More about : set raid array

a b G Storage
August 29, 2011 6:30:31 PM

Ordinarily manufacturers do not differentiate between a RAID capable drive and a non-raid capable drive. Personally, I have had bad experience with Samsung hard drives and no longer use them.

Additionally, except for very specific purposes, I would recommend NOT doing a RAID0 array. If any of the drives fail, you have to restore from a backup. The more drives in the array, the more chances of failure.

m
l
August 30, 2011 3:23:18 AM

yes i understand that
i can backup on a regular basis on to a very large single drive.
also the only hard drives I have ever had fail were notebook drives i held to tightly while they were runnning.

In other words since 1995 i have never had a single drive fail ever unless i broke it. I am on the computer 80+ hours a week and had several employees and up to 5 computers at a time.

so with regular backups i don't see the problem.

it is weird that there is f3r model for sure I agree and the fact it seems the same is also strange. also the fact there are different performance numbers for two drives with same model number is also strange. I would very much like to know what the difference is.
m
l
Related resources
September 6, 2011 1:07:28 AM

Aloha
anyone else?

I guess I should play around a bit with this myself since i have the drives, but just have not had time to reinstall windows.

last time i tried to set up raid it seemed difficult to set up initially and since then i have not tried again except for the ram drives which did not need special drivers to work.

any advice at all on the steps to set up a raid 0 array would be helpful.
thanks
m
l
September 13, 2011 1:13:52 AM

I got it set up the other day. seems quite speedy and was not that tough once i figured out i could use a thumb drive to install the drivers instead of trying to create a windows disk with the drivers already in there.
m
l
!