Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Performance
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
October 16, 2009 8:46:47 PM

Since I am new here, this is my second build for myself, but i try to keep up on hardware news and reviews, and I post on other forums giving advice on hardware.

Heres my build:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...
The biggest thing I am wondering is weather or not I am going to see any real world performance boost from a RAID 0 Intel SSD set up compared to a 180 GB Intel SSD?

I am also wondering weather the 2 TB Caviar Black, while offering better performance then the 1 TB Caviar Black, is really worth the extra money?

With the money saved by dropping the 2 TB Black and an Intel SSD I suppose I could probably work an i7-950 in to the build instead of the 860 and gain a nice performance boost in the CPU department.

For the record, I have an Sapphire HD4890 video card and a Dell 2208 WFP that will be used. Oh and a Mozart TX case.

More about : upgrading build

a b B Homebuilt system
October 16, 2009 9:01:42 PM

The write speed throughput will be improved in the RAID array, reads should bump up also, though probably not as much. As for the Caviar Black 2TB, I would say yes until they release a revised Caviar Black 1TB. Don't think the current 1TB Caviar Blacks use 500GB platters.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 16, 2009 9:06:41 PM

you wouldn need an i7 950 when the i7 920 clocks easily to 3.2ghz with good cooling

m
l
Related resources
October 16, 2009 9:06:47 PM

@ wathman, yes keep the 2 TB?

The 1 TB uses 3x350 GB Platters I think.

Would a software/mobo RAID be sufficient or should I consider a dedicated RAID Controller?

Thanks for your input!

@obsidian, I also forgot to mention I have a ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro(not the revised version though). OC isnt something I am really in for but I have considered it, but if you look at it that way then the 950 will OC even more then the 920.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 16, 2009 9:10:55 PM

You could go either way. Do you need 2TB right now? Does it have to be top performing 2TB? If this is principally for storage, any of the low power 2TBs available now will do just fine. They have good sequential read/writes, just lag behind in access times.

Or you could just use 2 RAID 0 arrays, one for your SSDs, and one for your mechanicals. If this is for a non booting drive, a software RAID will do pretty well.

for RAID 0, it doesn't really make too much of a difference. If you were planning on making this a bootable drive, it has to be an onboard controller or dedicated card. But for absolute best performance, you would need a high quality dedicated card.
m
l
October 16, 2009 9:39:09 PM

wathman said:
You could go either way. Do you need 2TB right now? Does it have to be top performing 2TB? If this is principally for storage, any of the low power 2TBs available now will do just fine. They have good sequential read/writes, just lag behind in access times.

Or you could just use 2 RAID 0 arrays, one for your SSDs, and one for your mechanicals. If this is for a non booting drive, a software RAID will do pretty well.

for RAID 0, it doesn't really make too much of a difference. If you were planning on making this a bootable drive, it has to be an onboard controller or dedicated card. But for absolute best performance, you would need a high quality dedicated card.

Well the plans if to use the SSDs for OS,apss and games. The 2 TB will be used for storage but I thought it was best to have a secondary work horse drive for running extraction as the extraction would be slower on a Green then a Black would it not? I realize extraction time will be highly dependent on CPU performance, but HDD performance has to be considered as well doesnt it?

Now do I need the RIAD Controller to support TRIM or is this strictly on the OS side regardless of Software and Hardware RIAD? I was told its on the OS side but i havent heard any one else confirm or deny this.

Plus I have heard that switching software RAIDs from mobo to mobo can cause problems some times.

obsidian86 said:
actually its close the highest clocked i7 950 is http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=766179 and highest clocked i7 920 is http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=687666

Thanks for the links. I have never over clocked before but I dont suspect its anything I cant do if I read over some tutorials but its just not something I am avid about.

You guys are giving awesome feedback here! Keep it coming! :) 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 17, 2009 3:57:05 AM

What are you referring to with extraction? game disc data? Yes Caviar Blacks are faster at sequential read speeds, but only by a small margin. Any type of hard drive is going to be way faster than optical media anyway. shorter access times and small file throughput is where performance drives like the Caviar Black work best, but compared to SSDs, even these are slow.

As for your SSD question, it really depends on your build and what SSD drives you choose. Some configurations will be a bit trickier than others, but with the right drivers you should be able to get TRIM commands to pass through from the OS to the drives. The way TRIM functions and controller compatibility was explained to me was that the appropriate drivers are ones that don't block the commands from going through. So usually, the simpler driver configurations like SATA II in IDE mode with generic Windows 7 SATA II drivers has the best chance of working. When you introduce a host card between the OS and the drives, the host card may not know it is supposed to be passing along the TRIM commands that the OS is sending.

Very confusing I know, but that's the price we pay as early adopters sometimes.
m
l
October 17, 2009 7:05:11 PM

Extracting anything and everything regardless of its contents. It could be music,movies,games, and while there usually not so big(usually less then 150MB), game modifications,applications...anything and everything.
m
l
October 17, 2009 9:27:13 PM

Thanks I might consider swapping them out.
m
l
!