Any consensus on a good non-gaming Win7/64-bit card?

gerrym

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
I've been using an old Nvidia FX1300 forever and I just upgraded to Win7/64 and it looks like it may be time to upgrade the video card. I don't do any gaming and the most computer intensive stuff I do is photoshop and I have dual monitors. I don't see a lot of Win7-64bit discussion so I'm wondering if there are any known solid cards for this configuration? Many thanks!

Solution
I think a lot of them will work, which is why it isn't discussed much. If you aren't gaming, you will want a low power consumption card. I use an Sapphire ATI 4650 DDR3 in Win7-64 and it works fine. My main uses are general office and light CAD. The card can even do a little gaming if you'd like. And best of all, only $50 (or less). That's my experience at any rate, I'm sure others will have other options to consider as well.
I think a lot of them will work, which is why it isn't discussed much. If you aren't gaming, you will want a low power consumption card. I use an Sapphire ATI 4650 DDR3 in Win7-64 and it works fine. My main uses are general office and light CAD. The card can even do a little gaming if you'd like. And best of all, only $50 (or less). That's my experience at any rate, I'm sure others will have other options to consider as well.

Solution

gerrym

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Thanks for the reply. Is there any issue with one of the ports being HDMI out? I have dual LCD's and right now they are both connected to a DVI-D connection. I'm assuming you can simply buy an HDMI to DVI adapter?

4745454b

Titan
Based off the same chip, I would think both the 4550 and the 4650 would work as well with Win7-64bit as any other 4xxx chip. There is no reason to think one would work better then the other. You don't even need to get a card, there are motherboards out now that support dual monitors. I would get oneof them, or whatever cheap modern card you can.

gerrym

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Ok, so looks like everyone agrees the 4650 is a solid card. Now, is there any reason to go with name brand ATI/AMD vs. another manufacturer like Sapphire/XFX?