Last response: in Storage
August 29, 2011 4:51:54 AM

System (relevant parts):

Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
Crucial M5 64GB
300GB Veliociraptor
1TB storage drive
Win7 64bit

System was setup with the SSD providing acceleration to the Velociraptor (system/game) drive a couple of months ago. No issues.

I recently upgraded the firmware on my Crucial M4 64GB SSD to rev 009. This went down without any issues.

In the process, though, the drive dropped out of Accel mode and now even though I have uninstalled and reinstalled a newer version of the Intel RST UI, the UI program (IAStorUI) crashes immediately on launch (IAStorUI has stopped working dialog) so I can't set the SSD to accelerate the system drive. Drive mode in BIOS is set to RAID (had to be temporarily set to IDE for the firmware patch). I read somewhere that the RST software wanted .NET 3.0 support, so I enabled that in Windows. No change.

Any/all advice thoughts welcome.

I'm torn between not wanting an SSD sitting there being useless and the time cost of doing a complete Win7 reinstall, which is where I seem to be right now.

More about : ssd acceleration loss

a c 302 G Storage
August 30, 2011 3:56:09 AM

There is a lot of misunderstanding about caching. Intel developed caching for clients and businesses that could not afford a large capacity ssd. Back when the concept was on the drawing board, Intel hoped clients and businesses would purchase a small 10Gb or 20GB for about $100.00. Microsoft Windows 7 and all software applications would remain on hard disk drives. The cache only produced a minor boost in performance. Intel hoped that once clients saw the slight performance boost they might be inclined to purchase a larger ssd.

Intel also researched the size of the cache. Intel determined that a 60GB ssd was the point where it made no sense to use the ssd as a cache for a hard drive. Instead if you have a 60GB ssd, then Windows 7 and software applications should be installed on the ssd to take full advantage of the ssd capabilities.

Since you have a 64GB ssd, it makes more sense to install Windows 7 and your software applications on the ssd. The ssd performance boost is much higher than the hard disk drive performance increase.

Windows 7 will use up a just a little over 21GB leaving room for software applications.

I do not know if you are a gamer but I hope you know that an ssd will not improve actual game play and it will not improve FPS. The only thing that happens is that the game will launch faster and levels, maps, or charts will load faster. If you participate in online gaming, then the ssd will not improve anything. You'll still be at the mercy of your Internet Service Provider.

A few days days ago Tom's Hardware published "SSD Performance In Crysis 2, World Of Warcraft, And Civilization V". It is an analysis of ssd's and gameplay. Here is the link:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-gaming-performa...
m
l
September 3, 2011 5:40:23 PM

I appreciate your point of view, but I was really hoping for a technical answer to a technical problem.

My lack of interest in the robustness of current SSD's led me to want to cache to the SSD vice put all of my eggs in it (so to speak). With the SSD I have right now, I would be severely limited in what I could put on it. I was one of the people that had XP Pro and a _select_ number of games and apps on the original 36GB Raptor, with everything else installed elsewhere. It ended up being a giant PITA where I had to watch every GB to be sure it belonged on the Raptor. Corrupted file links, etc, made things even more fun. I'm not going there again.

My experience (qualitative, not quantitative) was exactly what I was hoping for. Win 7 came up in less than 5 seconds, and the current apps (Premiere or a game loaded in no time flat as well). The article you pointed me at basically says that. That _any_ SSD is better than magnetic. I'm just using it in cache to speed things along, with the data safely sitting on a proven media if the SSD goes down. (Like now, effectively)

So, if you have some ideas on how to unscrew my current install, I'm all ears, but please don't assume that I didn't build my system without knowledge or specific goals in mind, even if you disagree with how I implemented them.
m
l
Related resources
November 28, 2011 5:13:43 PM

cdrikari

I am in the same predicament that you were in & am wondering if you ever found a solution to the problem?
I had RST caching my 2TB HD to a 60GB SSD with axcellent performance. As you state, Windows 7 was up & ready to go instantly after switching on, Photoshop etc would load in the blink of an eye, but alas, I very stupidly set my bios to default settings & upon reboot, a load of drivers were automatically re-installed, and now I get the message 'Intel RST service is not running'

The BIOS is still set to AHCI, but there must be another reason why RST won't run.

Any help much appreciated
m
l
November 29, 2011 4:07:32 AM

Sadly, the only answer I could get to work was reset, wipe the OS and reinstall from scratch. I do think that there are some points to what the one commenter said, I just don't have that hardware right now. Maybe next build.
m
l
!