Breidabo

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Hello, I have Raptor 10000rpm as system disk and a 64 GB SSD as pagedisk.
Trying to use SSD as Readyboost win7 sais that ssd cant be used corse system disk fast.
can I make win7 use the SSD? How?
Christer

ulysses35

Distinguished
I would have thought using your SD as the system disk would have been a better choice - since SSD's (depending on the model) are usually fast than conventional HDD's. That aside SSD's do have a limited life cycle and using one as a "Pagefile" like you have is a sure fire way to reduce its life span.

Readyboost is not a huge performance increase in Windows 7 (or Vista) and is simply a "Cache" used by windows to store regularly used data - with a Fast HDD and the additon of the SSD there wouldnt be any need.

I suggest swapping the SSD and HDD around

I agree with ulysses35.

There is a lot of misunderstanding about caching. Intel developed caching for clients and businesses that could not afford a large capacity ssd. Back when the concept was on the drawing board, Intel hoped clients and businesses would purchase a small 10Gb or 20GB for about $100.00. Microsoft Windows 7 and all software applications would remain on hard disk drives. The cache only produced a minor boost in performance. Intel hoped that once clients saw the slight performance boost they might be inclined to purchase a larger ssd.

Intel also researched the size of the cache. Intel determined that a 60GB ssd was the point where it made no sense to use the ssd as a cache for a hard drive. Instead if you have a 60GB ssd, then Windows 7 and software applications should be installed on the ssd to take full advantage of the ssd capabilities.

Since you are thinking of purchasing a 60GB ssd, it makes more sense to install Windows 7 and your software applications on the ssd. The ssd performance boost is much higher than the hard disk drive performance increase.

Windows 7 will use up a just a little over 21GB leaving some room for software applications.

I do not know if you are a gamer but I hope you know that an ssd will not improve actual game play and it will not improve FPS. The only thing that happens is that the game will launch faster and levels, maps, or charts will load faster. If you participate in online gaming, then the ssd will not improve anything. You'll still be at the mercy of your Internet Service Provider.

A few days days ago Tom's Hardware published "SSD Performance In Crysis 2, World Of Warcraft, And Civilization V". It is an analysis of ssd's and gameplay. Here is the link:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-gaming-performance,2991.html

gman_52

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
Check out the brand new OCZ Synapse Cache drives in 64 or 128 gig...the 64gig version is about $155 @ newegg and includes Dataplex software which is supposed to act like the Intel cache solution for the newer Intel boards. My understanding is that you run the software 3 separate times while you are using your system for what you do. The software "teaches" the SSD which files get used most (they called them the "hottest files" and keeps those most often used files from your regular hard drive waiting for you on the Cache SSD for instant delivery. The 64gig uses up to 32 gig of the drive for caching...1/2 is what the software allocates if I read it correctly which is why these particular models don't go bigger than 128gig.

Check out the Dataplex performance graphs on their website and although it's their own info it appears to be quite an insane increase in load times...HOWEVER...as has already been said regarding online gaming....it will do little ultimately for the lag time of your ISP.

Here is the OCZ link with graphs and info. http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-synapse-cache-sata-iii-2-5-ssd.html

Notice that this works with quote "ANY combination of ssd/hard drive". I am going to be trying it with a Raid 0 setup on a pair of SATA 3 hard drives within a week or so.