Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Video card 220w for gateway sx2800-01

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 28, 2009 1:28:35 AM

i want to upgrade my minimal gateway with a dedicated video card. i want 1g ddr3 if possible. i don't game (i have other boxes for heavy lifting), this box is mostly for hd and blu-ray viewing, surfing and some video editing. any proven suggestions for video car and/or power supply upgrades will be greatly appreciated.
October 29, 2009 1:42:16 AM

TheViper said:
Sapphire HD 4670 1 GB GDDR3 HDMI - $59.99 after rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Should run on the system you have and do everything you need.

thank you for your timely response. i am concerned with power (220w) and size (low profile, half-height top slot) constraints. is this a viable solution? i really like your suggested card, it would be perfect. is it something you have done? thanks again.
Related resources
October 29, 2009 1:43:57 AM

thank you for your timely response. i am concerned with power (220w) and size (low profile, half-height top slot) constraints. is this a viable solution? i really like your suggested card, it would be perfect. is it something you have done? thanks again.
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2009 3:32:39 AM

If you need a low profile card, you may be better off with this one.

Sapphire HD 4650 512 MB GDDR2 - $54.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You lose your GDDR3 and 1 GB requirements and some processing muscle but if half height is your only option so too might this card.

My apologies for the not quite as timely response.
November 1, 2009 4:09:27 AM

Galaxy makes a low profile, low power 9600GT that I picked up at best buy on close out. It is a half height card, but is quite long and barely fits in my mid-tower case. Depending on the orientation, it might fit a small form factor case because it is half height. It is slightly undervolted and underclocked, but seems to perform well.
It uses about the same power as a HD4670 and I am running on a generic 300watt power supply, without problems except for one crash which I am not sure was power related.

However, a 220 watt power supply is quite a bit weaker. You might have problems with anything more powerful than a HD4550 or HD4350. These should be adequate for watching video though, even Blue Ray.

As for you requirements for ddr3, the 4670 and 9600GT that I described are DDR3, but only 512mb. However any card that will work with your power supply wont be able to utilize more that 512mb of memory anyway.
!