Video card 220w for gateway sx2800-01

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawards

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
i want to upgrade my minimal gateway with a dedicated video card. i want 1g ddr3 if possible. i don't game (i have other boxes for heavy lifting), this box is mostly for hd and blu-ray viewing, surfing and some video editing. any proven suggestions for video car and/or power supply upgrades will be greatly appreciated.

dawards

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009

thank you for your timely response. i am concerned with power (220w) and size (low profile, half-height top slot) constraints. is this a viable solution? i really like your suggested card, it would be perfect. is it something you have done? thanks again.

dawards

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
thank you for your timely response. i am concerned with power (220w) and size (low profile, half-height top slot) constraints. is this a viable solution? i really like your suggested card, it would be perfect. is it something you have done? thanks again.

frozentundra123456

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Galaxy makes a low profile, low power 9600GT that I picked up at best buy on close out. It is a half height card, but is quite long and barely fits in my mid-tower case. Depending on the orientation, it might fit a small form factor case because it is half height. It is slightly undervolted and underclocked, but seems to perform well.
It uses about the same power as a HD4670 and I am running on a generic 300watt power supply, without problems except for one crash which I am not sure was power related.

However, a 220 watt power supply is quite a bit weaker. You might have problems with anything more powerful than a HD4550 or HD4350. These should be adequate for watching video though, even Blue Ray.

As for you requirements for ddr3, the 4670 and 9600GT that I described are DDR3, but only 512mb. However any card that will work with your power supply wont be able to utilize more that 512mb of memory anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.